Re: HTTP Link Use cases

From: Roland Merrick <roland_merrick@uk.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 13:19:42 +0100
To: Phil Archer <parcher@icra.org>
Cc: public-xhtml2@w3.org, public-swd-wg@w3.org, Public MWBP <public-bpwg@w3.org>
Greetings Phil, I have just been reading the attached and find it rather
interesting, this is a topic of interest to the XHTML Working Group. We
have been working with the Semantic Web Deployment Working Group on RDFa
[1] which I notice you do not make any reference to.

I will discuss this subject with the XHTML WG and also encourage the SWD
WG to take a look and get back to you if, and when, we have something
concrete to discuss.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-rdfa-syntax-20080221/

Regards, Roland
IBM Software Group, Strategy, Software Standards

Phil Archer <parcher@icra.org>
Sent by: public-bpwg-request@w3.org
25/03/2008 14:59

Public MWBP <public-bpwg@w3.org>

Re: HTTP Link Use cases

As I believe Tuesday is CT TF day, I'll just give a little update on
this. There is a wiki page being maintained by Jonathan Rees on this
issue at [1]. He repeated his call for use cases over the weekend [2] to
which I responded [3]. There's a load more on this issue over on the TAG
list (and, confusingly, on the HTTP-WG list too) but the consensus seems
to be emerging around Mark Nottingham's (updated) draft at [4].

The key discussion has been around the value of the rel attribute. The
way it's heading is as Mark N sets out. The value is a URI. If a
relative URI is given, such as 'stylesheet', then the assumption must be
that it is relative to the IANA registry's namespace which is

If you don't want to use an IANA rel type (and don't want to register
it) then you give a complete URI, such as

Such an HTTP Link Header would be semantically equivalent to an HTML
Link tag or an RDF triple of the form

<resource> describedBy <description>

(Indeed, describedBy may well be the term used, in which case, the
POWDER WG may well choose to use this and not rel="powder" - time will

[1] http://esw.w3.org/topic/FindingResourceDescriptions
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2008Mar/0105.html
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2008Mar/0114.html
[4] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nottingham-http-link-header-01