[Fwd: Re: XHTML Strict 1.1 Validation vs 1.0]

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 21:45:01 -0500
To: XHTML WG <public-xhtml2@w3.org>
Further to our discussion of @lang vs @xml:lang and how to deal with it
in documents served as text/html, I saw the attached message in the
validator list today.  Apparently you can style xml:lang and @lang....
so I think this issue may be moot.  My only personal concern was
stylesheet <-> document interoperability.  So I think we should change
the advice in Appendix A of XHTMLMIME to read something like:

DO use the xml:lang attribute to specify the language of an element.

I think this is good advice for people writing content for modern user
agents.  Or good enough, anyway.

attached mail follows:

David CÚdric Latapie wrote:

> I found a real stopper for me in XHTML 1.1: it doesn't allow the ":lang"
> attribute anymore; only "xml:lang" is possible. And "xml:lang" can't be
> styled with CSS...

Yes it can, via the :lang() pseudo-class selector:

http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-css-lang

Internet Explorer 6 and 7 don't support it, but that's irrelevant since
the current version of XHTML 1.1 must not be served as text/html so
can't be used with IE anyway.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis