Re: shame on losing good folks (or failing others who cannot take the pace)

On 12 January 2012 17:28, Peter Williams <home_pw@msn.com> wrote:
> Its sad to lose Mo. Its also sad to see others unable to participate,
> publicly (given the tone).
>
> But, its a rough and tumble game, crypto. Its an edgy topic. If you are
> (undeclared) proxy for certain government agencies with fixed positions
> about social needs, its hard to even associate with the likes of me (for
> example).
>
> Why I like the tone, here, and even the topics that folks discuss, is
> because it and they are identical to the history of certs. And, certs came
> out just fine (against all the odds). So too will this group.
>
> Putting SSL javascript libs for the ssl client on the RDFa page built
> dyanmically with a sparql query, that then configures said clients SSL
> server trust points is just magical.
>
> And its such magic that changes the game.

Repeated for convenience :)

Be considerate.

Our work will be used by other people, and we in turn will depend on
the work of others. Any decision we take will affect users and
colleagues, and we should take those consequences into account when
making decisions. WebID potentially has millions of users and
thousands of contributors. Even if it's not obvious at the time, our
contributions to WebID will impact the work of others. For example,
changes to code, infrastructure, policy, documentation, and
translations during a release may negatively impact others' work.

Be respectful.

The WebID community and its members treat one another with respect.
Everyone can make a valuable contribution to WebID. We may not always
agree, but disagreement is no excuse for poor behavior and poor
manners. We might all experience some frustration now and then, but we
cannot allow that frustration to turn into a personal attack. It's
important to remember that a community where people feel uncomfortable
or threatened is not a productive one. We expect members of the WebID
community to be respectful when dealing with other contributors as
well as with people outside the WebID project and with users of WebID.

Be collaborative.

Collaboration is central to WebID and to the larger free software
community. This collaboration involves individuals working with others
in teams within WebID, teams working with each other within WebID, and
individuals and teams within WebID working with other projects
outside. This collaboration reduces redundancy, and improves the
quality of our work. Internally and externally, we should always be
open to collaboration. Wherever possible, we should work closely with
upstream projects and others in the free software community to
coordinate our technical, advocacy, documentation, and other work. Our
work should be done transparently and we should involve as many
interested parties as early as possible. If we decide to take a
different approach than others, we will let them know early, document
our work and inform others regularly of our progress.

When we disagree, we consult others.

If and when we choose to adopt a more extensive or formal conflict
resolution process, we will add to this section. But for now, the
title says it all.
When we are unsure, we ask for help.

Nobody knows everything, and nobody is expected to be perfect in the
WebID community. Asking questions avoids many problems down the road,
and so questions are encouraged. Those who are asked questions should
be responsive and helpful. However, when asking a question, care must
be taken to do so in an appropriate place.

Step down considerately.

Members of every project come and go and WebID is no different. When
somebody leaves or disengages from the project, in whole or in part,
we ask that they do so in a way that minimizes disruption to the
project. This means they should tell people they are leaving and take
the proper steps to ensure that others can pick up where they left
off.