Re: WebID equivalence

On 1/3/12 8:27 PM, Mo McRoberts wrote:
> On 4 Jan 2012, at 00:56, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> Use a Name to do things that fit the Name Role. Don't use was many think is an Address as a Name, certainly not at first blush irrespective of deeper prowess. Use an Address for functionality folks intuitively associate with addresses e.g., data access. Use Names to Identity things.
> I a feeling this paragraph is meant to be fundamental to your point, but I honestly can't make head nor tail of it.

Use a Name to Name things. Does an HTTP URI instinctively come across to
the typical Web Developer as a Name? It doesn't. It comes across an an
Address. The level of indirection is no more than 1.

> It's probably not worth the hassle of point out that both DN and subjectAltName are called “names” in X.509.

You have a generic Name and a function specific Name (e.g. an Address).
In the CN examples I've given you have examples of two address types
i.e., http: scheme and mailto: scheme. The intuition of "Address" is
there. Likewise, the intuition of a generic name re. Subject Alternative
Name.

>   Only one (and even then, only parts of it) — the DN — is readily presented in interfaces, and where it is, it’s done so as a label.

That isn't my the core issue here. Basically, the use as label doesn't
determine its semantics. Why are there examples of CN's with URLs all
over the place then?

> The subjectAltName is an implementation device, unlike host-meta is or the Link HTTP response header.

It's a slot for Names in the generic sense. You can use URIs as well as
other identifiers in this slot. Also please remember a URI != HTTP URI,
solely.

[SNIP]

Founder&  CEO