Crawlers and WebID

From: Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 18:50:13 +0200
Cc: foaf-protocols@lists.foaf-project.org
To: WebID XG <public-xg-webid@w3.org>
There was a very long discussion on the Linked Data mailing list on issues of student build crawlers going crazy on linked data sites, in such a way that it amounted to a denial of service attacks.

The thread is entitled "Think before you write Semantic Web crawlers"

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2011Jun/0499.html

Kingsley and I have been very vocal in urging for WebID enabled crawlers and linked data publishers to solve this problem. I think we even got some good mind share on it.

I wrote up the details here:

  http://www.w3.org/wiki/Bad_Crawlers

We could use this as a powerful use case for WebID. Please add improvements on that page, and we should link to it somewhere.