Re: [keyassure] dane-04 trust anchors

On 22 Feb 2011, at 08:19, peter williams wrote:

> So we have two X, where one can consider these test cases, use case, or things to be denied:
>
> Should the webid be http (not https), we recognize that any interceptor can actively manipulate the stream to make it falsely appear that a cert is revoked

  yes

> Should the webid be https (not http), we recognize that a reverse proxy can be acting for the content server and maliciously manipulate the stream to make it falsely appear that a cert is revoked

No, that is not possible. If a reverse proxy is in play then it is because it is allowed to be there. Its key has been signed by a CA for that domain, or in the future its public key is published in the right space of DNSsec. That should be only the case if it is indeed in charge for that domain. Other cases are human security problems that need to be checked in court or with insurance agencies.

> These are just consequences of relying on channels to data origin authenticate content – unlike signed XRDs say which are free from undetectable channel interference, unlike signed DNS RRs containing certs values that similarly do not rely on a channel security for integrity.

I doubt this. If you give away your XRD private key, or a virus gets hold of it, etc, etc. you are in the same position. Someone will make fake XRD signatures.

> If recommend we don’t go too far down the road of saying: well, we assume a correct, logical, and adversary free world;

No we just assume, like very large companies do, Amazon, VISA, banks, etc. that it works well enough for business. The pressures that the system is under to work better is proportional to the amount of business going on the web. I doubt that XRD has anywhere near the same amount of pressure exerted on it every day. It is this pressure that will lead to secure DNS being rolled out, browsers to upgrade, and so on.

> and buyer beware if it’s not;

buyer sue if not

> and thus security threats to the abstract protocol just don’t need to be considered. Rather, the spec slowly starts to either characterize these unaddressed threats in a security section, or makes countermeasure claims to defeat the threat in the body of the text.

You keep coming up with false proxy issues, which  you portray as holes in TLS. They are not. If you walk with your computer into a building with such a proxy, you will notices that no https end point will work for you - that is unless they are using the key of one of the CAs you trust in your browser - and here be aware of using Microsoft OS, that OS downloads certificates without telling you.

Of course if you use their computers to do your work, then you are completely open to being spied on. But everybody knew that.
And I doubt that XRDs have found away around that issue.

> We have to compete against signed XRDs over http, which can also contain an SEP (a service endpoint defn) with an embedded self-signed cert. If signed XRDs team up with keyassure for management of the XRD signature’s own trust anchor key management, that’s quite a integrity package.

WE compete by being very simple, very extensible, but only do the minimum we need to do. And we work with linked data. But in any case we need to look into XRD. Perhaps someone can write an XSPARQL transform for it into a well known ontology.

	Henry