Re: PGP aside

From: Mo McRoberts <mo.mcroberts@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 23:44:16 +0000
Cc: <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>, <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, "public-xg-webid@w3.org" <public-xg-webid@w3.org>
To: Peter Williams <home_pw@msn.com>

On 29 Dec 2011, at 17:40, Peter Williams wrote:

> Now, what matters is that folks KEEP *wanting*  to link up to a PGP key. Its spirit as a branded movement prevails, and evil other technologies are less welcome (even if more useful).

PGP remains pretty widely used in certain circles (particularly software distribution, and to a lesser extent e-mail — and if memory serves Outlook with the PGP add-ins is slightly more usefully-behaved than it is when it receives an e-mail signed by a self-issued X.509 cert).

Being able to tie that back to a WebID is beneficial — “I know foo's WebID, and I can see *their* key signed this package” type of stuff.

M.

--
Mo McRoberts - Technical Lead - The Space,
0141 422 6036 (Internal: 01-26036) - PGP key CEBCF03E,