RE: Green cloud? -- Re: Position Paper for W3C Workshop on Identity

Henry, you might want to internalize something that is not particularly
evident in Europe, but is absolutely a part of the US history leading up to
the internet.

It concerns private enterprise networks, built over leased lines. Folks for
40+ years have actively built private overlays in the US, out of leased
lines. The telcos responded by innovating packet switching, to make it cost
effectively. Military interests threw  in their usual contribution, for
their private overlays. Indeed, the NASA half pipe between FIX-E and
UK/Norway funded half the internet in Europe, in the days before the
internet took off (while also spying on Russians).

BBN conceived of IPsec not as a remote access network but as a means to
virtualize packetsiwtching FOR private enterprise voicenets - the PBX for
the internet. The SSL VPN (using the connectionless version of SSL, still
un-addressed by webid IX) now plays much of that role, allow virtual
communities overlaying the public internet, virtualized by the crypto and
its key management.

We could do with focusing on this topic, as we go from servers and webid
protocol to "communities" of interest - with their own demands on who can
join in their trust chains.

Its hard to go from academic models (of the ideal web) to reality, I know.
Ive been through the shift. But, its necessary. The world of crypto is not a
nice place, but a lot nicer in fact than I ever imagined it would turn out
to be. It has a political process built in, which allows it to find a niche
that matters.