Re: Position Paper for W3C Workshop on Identity

On 4/23/11 12:54 PM, peter williams wrote:
> Good (ignoring the quips). Even worked Quadaffi in (but no Assad!?)
>
> If one wants to reach out to the traditionalists (still tied to certs), one
> takes a foaf card and one relates the id to a URI pointing at a .crt file of
> a CA (just like the wot vocab points to a .sig file, minted using the PGP
> tool). Then, like wot, one uses a trust metric (PGP in wot's case) to
> compute a confidence value on a chain of relations (relating webids to .crt
> URIs). If this all falls within bounds, designed probably using formal risk
> analysis, one deems the authentication valid. This model scales, and is
> solid (being used for years).
>
> The point is ... the above metric and system is neither better nor worse
> than any other. We are agnostic. What matters is that a common logic
> framework is doing the relating, and a thousand trust models exist (like
> thousands of ISPs existed for a few years, in 1995 era). Over time, this
> will reduce to 10 and lots of resellers (changing the font, and adding an
> insurance policy and some nominal governance regime), as usual. In realty,
> there is large fanout of the governance space (down to each city, and often
> areas within cities if they have different population migration
> characteristics). In the world of the commodity social web, of course, its
> small fanout - live/hotmail, google, yahoo (and their many resellers) and
> then paypal - though paypal seems to be losing its nerve after the wikileaks
> exposure (from what a little birdy tells me).
>
> A good model for us is VISA and PCI, where a thousand+ resellers of 10 main
> banks now divvy up the trust space, forcing different security criteria on
> the merchants under their governance control. In reality, its little more
> than a market for selling insurance (as satisfying the technical criteria
> udner audit costs way more than the insurance premium). But, this is all
> part of the game; which verges on social extortion. Webid will eventually
> become an insurance selling space, just like [server] certs sell warranties
> tied back to Lloyds. Formally, this is the commodity trust basis known as
> "compensating controls". To you and me, in the bar, its flogging insurance,
> so the risk is spread across the public, acting as a large population able
> to collectively sustain local damages.
>
> I don't think we want to say this to the browser guys, who are all engineers
> and product managers probably, though. But if one does, its part of the
> information assurance topic. Demonstrating that webid fits into the way the
> security world actually works, at scale. It is the meaning of life property
> though (since it's about making the money from trust...that pays for
> salaries etc)

Peter,

We should put this stuff into a Google Docs hosted Presentation or
Scribd doc. The key thing here is that you grok the big picture
narrative that needs to act as a WebID segue in presentation format. Of
course, you can dump as a mail response and others can pick up this
action. Key is to get this narrative out there as WebID segue.

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen