Re: self-signed

> Nathan wrote:
>
>...precluding all schemes bar one really isn't a wise
> move, even just for the sake of future proofing the thing!

To date I have not commented on many of the issues presented to this IG as
it seems often the case, that with hotly-debated topics, given enough time
the issue comes full circle and previously-discussed details get forgotten
or washed over.

Henry has been very clear on at least four (4) occasions that the WebID
spec will not be single-scheme focused. It will not be HTTP-scheme
mandatory.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-webid/2011Apr/0223.html

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-webid/2011Apr/0225.html

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-webid/2011Apr/0229.html

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-webid/2011Apr/0319.html

What he has said is that it makes sense to focus first on one task.
Quoting Henry, "Let us get the test cases and documentation for https
webid's under our belt, then we can move to the other schemes."

It does not get anymore clear than that.

Let's focus on the first task. Once we've adequately tested https WebIDs
and feel comfortable with what we've learned, we can move on to another
protocol.

I'm not sure how many of you have the privilege to work on open standards
during company time (in other words, your company lets you "freely" work
on Web standards during company time), but some of us volunteer our time.
We are off the clock. We do not earn a paycheck for the time spent on this
IG, any other IG, or any other open source projects. Our time is very
limited and comes out of our personal free time.

For those of you who know me, I'm all for vigorous debate--when it is
productive. But this large animal has been beaten to death. If we cannot
settle on a clear, well-defined plan of action, then my time and yours is
being wasted.

Jeff