Re: self-signed

On 4/19/11 3:16 PM, Mo McRoberts wrote:

> > That's really DoD. IMHO. re., any version of WebID that exits this this
> > IG. It has zero effect on me (personally) or my corporate entity
> > (OpenLink). The only loser will be the WebID protocol itself :-(
>
> Why?
>
> Are you seriously saying that you will _only_ publish your WebID FOAF
> document through some protocol which isn't http-based?

Please don't respond subjectively to my comments. Just not right. When
did I say or infer that?

> Bear in mind that WebFinger is an indirection mechanism. What happens
> if you resolve that indirection at cert-generation time to begin with,
> and shift that burden to the servers (to allow greater dynamism, i.e.,
> that the thing could move around at will) later on?

I know what Webfinger is, its already working fine with our WebID
implementation. Ditto Fingerpoint. That's why I already have Certs. with
URI based WebIDs. An URI != HTTP.

> What is the actual scenario which makes http/s-only WebID as a
> starting point dead in the water for you & OpenLink?

Even when I said, with clarity, non of this has any bearing on me
personally, or my corporate entity OpenLink Software, you gut response
is the question above?

WebID is Dead on Delivery (DoD) if its a vector for a specific scheme
instead of a vector for InterWeb scale identity that leverages the
collective prowess of:

1. URIs
2. Structured Profiles
3. Trust Logic.

The WebID that you and Henry seem to speak of is one that might someday
deliver on 1-3 above across the following dimensions:

1. Rhetoric
2. Specs
3. Test suites
4. Implementations.

> What scenario do you forsee causing it to be so utterly difficult to
> add other schemes well ahead of WebID actually gaining traction?

I never said or inferred that. Quite the contrary i.e., I am asking:
what's so difficult about keeping WebID URI scheme agnostic from the get
go?

Kingsley

> M.
>

> http://www.bbc.co.uk