From: public-xg-webid-request@w3.org [mailto:public-xg-webid-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Andrei Sambra
Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2011 4:34 AM
To: Henry Story
Cc: public-xg-webid@w3.org
Subject: Re: WebIDauth - authentication service written in PHP.

On Sat, 2011-04-09 at 13:09 +0200, Henry Story wrote:
> On 9 Apr 2011, at 12:58, Andrei Sambra wrote:
>
> > I forgot to mention that I set up a testing suite (more or less),
> > which can be used to test authentication (either auth.fcns.eu or
> > foafssl.org), to create foaf profiles in several formats
> > (json/turtle/rdfxml/n3), lookup webid's and display them in a nice
> > format / debug format, convert a webid from a format to another (see above).
> >
> > It's a work in progress so expect lots of things to be bugged.
> >
> > Here is the link: http://webid.fcns.eu
>
> yes, that produces very beautiful output.
>
> But you need a more technical WebID test suite, that will return rdfa
> describing exactly how the authentication was determined, and showing the user his public key.
>
> (we have not settled on the rdfa, so for the moment pure human
> readable html is ok :-)

I see one issue with your suggestion; if a webserver is not configured to request a certificate, it cannot read the public key of the client.
So, we either pass it in the URL from the IdP, or the admin configures SSL on the SP to demand a certificate when connecting to a particular part of the website.

We should also keep in mind that some service providers might not use SSL, but they could verify the validity of the authentication process by checking the signature of the returned URL (webid+ts) and thus allow users to log in with their webids.