Re: Sensor description

Hi Alexandra,

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 12:35 AM Alexandra Kokkinaki <
alexandra.kokkinaki@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> could you please help on that? I want to describe sensing devices
> consisting of sensors in RDF with the help of ssn ontology.

Sounds like you have a System [1] with sensors (possibly sensing devices)
as sub systems [2].

> Each sensing device will have many serial numbers and each sensor will
> also have several serial numbers.

Note that a sensor is "any entity that can follow a sensing method" [3] and
can include a lab technician who follows a protocol to measure a property
while a sensing device is an instrument. A sensing device is a sensor,
while a sensor may be a physical object other than a device.

I think I would model serial numbers for systems, which will also work for
sensing devices.

> So I was thinking of creating a class for each type of sensing device
> under SensingDevice class  and a class for each type of sensor under Sensor
> class.
> Then publish this ontology with the new classes.
> Then create a new file only for the instances, which will import the new
> ontology.

Looks like a sensible approach, especially if you want the first ontology
with your classes to be reusable.

Cheers,
Markus

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/ssnx/ssn#System