Re: Ontology documentation (Graphics)

Hi everyone,

I am usually not in favour of using any tool for generating ontology
graphics. Mainly because I don't know of any that produces them with
enough quality and provides flexibility to show only what you want to show.

Therefore, I always end up using some drawing program to make the graphics.

I attach a graphical visualization in Powerpoint of the current version
of the SSN ontology as an alternative visualization to that produced by
the COE tool.

In the graphics I have included the ontology modules, but they can be
removed. Besides, different images could be created for each part of the
ontology just selecting the relevant ontology components.

The format and the way of representing things is totally open for
discussion, of course. I just wanted to propose an alternative to the
current graphics.

The good thing with this approach is that, once we have this first
version of the graphics, future changes in the ontology can be easily
implemented. Unless there are major changes in the ontology, the effort
to update the graphics could be similar to that of the
modularization+graph-generation process described below.

What do you think?

P.S. In the ontology file (and propagated to the documentation of the
ontology) there are some repeated classes: DetectionLimit, Drift,
Precision, ResponseTime, and Selectivity.

--

Dr. Raúl García Castro
http://delicias.dia.fi.upm.es/~rgarcia/

Ontology Engineering Group (http://www.oeg-upm.net/)
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Campus de Montegancedo, s/n - Boadilla del Monte - 28660 Madrid
Phone: +34 91 336 36 70 - Fax: +34 91 352 48 19