Review of collaborative ontology development tools

From: Raúl García Castro <rgarcia@fi.upm.es>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 15:56:21 +0200
To: public-xg-ssn@w3.org
Dear all,

I have included in the wiki a review of ContentSVN and Collaborative
Protégé, the two tools mentioned for collaborative ontology development:
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/Review_of_collaborative_ontology_edition_tools

The two approaches are quite different; in a nutshell, ContentSVN is
mostly focused in what happens between ontology changes and
Collaborative Protégé is focused on the annotation and discussion of
changes.

What I don't know is up to what extent we do need any of them.

The plans in the wiki are to go for a single editor, so a collaborative
environment maybe is not needed.
Besides, to document and discuss ontology changes we can use the wiki
and/or the mailing list (also mentioned in the wiki). If we just want to
identify changes between releases, this can be enough if we follow some
structured way of documenting changes.

Kind regards,

--

Dr. Raúl García Castro
http://delicias.dia.fi.upm.es/~rgarcia/

Ontology Engineering Group (http://www.oeg-upm.net/)
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Campus de Montegancedo, s/n - Boadilla del Monte - 28660 Madrid
Phone: +34 91 336 36 70 - Fax: +34 91 352 48 19