From: public-xg-ssn-request@w3.org [mailto:public-xg-ssn-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of John Graybeal
Sent: Friday, 17 July 2009 6:51 AM
To: Krzysztof Janowicz
Cc: public-xg-ssn@w3.org
Subject: Re: SSN-XG Meeting Minutes 15-July-2009

On Jul 16, 2009, at 1:30 PM, Krzysztof Janowicz wrote:

> That's fine with me. What should be the next steps to agree on a
> repository?

Uh, decide on the most important features and compare existing
repositories?

For an entirely different community, we created the beginnings of a
comparison at [1].  (It only included a few non-wiki repositories in
its very preliminary state, but adding columns is easy.)  If we want
to add rows and maybe even priorities for this community, we might
create a new copy for now.  Or, anyone is welcome to copy this list to
a new location (I can do that on MMI, or you can copy it elsewhere)
and tailor it for this community.

In a month or two I will be better situated to help drive this
evaluation, but not now; and in any case, might be better to have
someone without a vested interest take lead.  But we're happy to
provide access to whatever materials we can.  And the hard part is
deciding on the most important features.

John

[1] http://marinemetadata.org/semanticframework/biodiversityrepositoryrequirements

On Jul 16, 2009, at 1:30 PM, Krzysztof Janowicz wrote:

> Hi John,
>
>> [...]*except* less OK about the 'release of stable versions' via
>> SourceForge.  Release of stable versions should be via an ontology
>> repository [...]
>
> That's fine with me. What should be the next steps to agree on a
> repository?
>
> regards,
> Krzysztof
>

> John Graybeal schrieb:
>> I am OK with all of this *except* less OK about the 'release of
>> stable
>> versions' via SourceForge.  Release of stable versions should be via
>> an ontology repository, in my humble opinion. This may reflect my
>> bias
>> toward (a) having only one publication location for the ontology, and
>> (b) leveraging the abilities of the repository to provide URI
>> resolution and related auxiliary services (e.g., metadata about
>> submission, owner, license, etc.; visualizations; and so on).  If we
>> decide to go the other way I won't have a fit.
>>
>> Note that I do not consider MMI's repository a collaborative editing
>> environment, just to be clear. It might provide a useful home for
>> each
>> update of the ontology, because of the automatic URI
>> generation/resolution.  But then that works best at the moment if the
>> domain is actually the repository's domain (mmisw.org/ont); we can
>> serve ontologies with other domains but haven't set up the magic to
>> redirect from those locations to our system and serve those other
>> URIs.  Would be interesting to try this.
>>
>> John
>>
>> On Jul 16, 2009, at 12:14 PM, Krzysztof Janowicz wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,

>>> do we agree to handle the ontology project management (feature
>>> request
>>> from external users, forum for discussion, bug tracker, visibility
>>> the public, release of stable versions,...) at sourceforge and
>>> look for
>>> a collaborative editing environment (WebProtege, OWLdiff, MMI
>>> repository,...) for the ontology editing and versioning? I can set
>>> up
>>> and configure a project at sourceforge and invite everybody
>>> (however,
>>> IMO Holger should be responsible for the release management and so
>>> forth). I also agree that we should look for a pragmatic solution
>>> for
>>> the licensing, something that allows us all to contribute and is
>>> open to
>>> external users.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Krzysztof