From: Kevin R. Page <krp@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
To: public-xg-ssn@w3.org
Subject: Proposal: Timings for regular meetings
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 19:25:53 +0100

Dear all,

Might I suggest we have a separate discussion/doodle for setting a
regular meeting slot, or pair of alternating meeting slots. I suspect
many of us can arrange our diaries around a regular time in the future,
while diaries for the upcoming couple of weeks will already be
relatively full.

Given the wide spread of timezones [1], I propose there are only a
couple of periods of the day that are reasonable for all involved. And
I'm pushing the boundaries of "reasonable" here, as there certainly
isn't a time that'll be ideal for everyone. Please correct me if I've
got your timezone wrong!

These are:

Period (a)
UTC 20:00 - 22:00
= 06:00 - 08:00 +1 day, Western Australia
= 22:00 - 24:00, Central Europe
= 21:00 - 23:00, UK and Ireland
= 16:00 - 18:00, Eastern US

Period (b)
UTC 10:00 - 14:00
= 20:00 - 24:00, Western Australia
= 12:00 - 16:00, Central Europe
= 11:00 - 15:00, UK and Ireland
= 06:00 - 10:00, Eastern US

These are the *only* periods when it isn't the middle of the night for
someone. I suggest we see if we can get these to work - if we can't
we'll have to alternate between times that some participants definitely
won't be able to attend.

I also note that the majority of *both* of these periods are
out-of-office-hours for Australia. This is not true for the other
timezones, where at least one of the periods is within office hours.

I therefore propose we give our Australian colleagues the vote of:

1) alternating between an earlier and later slot both within period (b)
(to accommodate the start of the working day in the US), or

2) alternating between a slot in period (a) and a slot in period (b),
with the option of restricting (a) to e.g. only 22:00 UTC, or

3) not feasible to always have the meeting out of hours in Australia

Once a scheme is selected, we can doodle for days of the week/hour slots
within the periods provided.

I think this will allow us to choose the "least worst" regular meeting
slot, where the out-of-hours inconvenience is spread as evenly as
possible amongst participants.

[1] from the participant list:
http://www.w3.org/2000/09/dbwg/details?group=43337

Regards,