RE: Privacy Jungle: Data Protection in Social Networks

Hello Melvin,

I think that the paradox which this paper raises, and the question on which
your e-mail concludes, is really fundamental, but possibly outside the scope
of the SWXG.

At the risk of boring others with out of scope posting....Does anyone else
feel that there is a risk of future W3C SW recommendations being isolated as
a result of their lacking the involvement of commercial community providers?

The lack of participation of commercial communities/community operators in
this XG concerns me. It could reflect that the commercial community
providers perceive standards in this domain (you called them "open
frameworks") as threatening. Perhaps they have not had time to read Henry's
post ;-)

If there were not already billions of personal records already (safely?)
locked in current (proprietary) databases, these businesses would not
constitute a risk to SWXG future impact.

If we want those in existing communities to embrace future W3C standards for
social networking, would it not behoove us to suggest a path (roadmap) to
embracing the proposed standard without jeopardizing commercial viability of
these services?

We could hypothesize that commercial companies don't hold all the cards:

     We know that Compuserve and AOL had healthy businesses providing
information and communications services to consumers using their own
technology for portal, etc which did not survive the adoption of Web
standards by other information service providers.

It is convenient that the study focuses on privacy and data protection.

Can there be proprietary platforms for operating community-centric
experiences which use a standards-based approach only for managing data
protection/sharing/portability?

Can we examine examples in other digital (Web) domains where there was a
healthy viable (commercially sound) business based on proprietary solutions
which continued to be profitable with/after the widespread adoption of a
standard?

Providers of digital media streaming platforms, a domain in which I have
long history, have continued to be viable after widespread adoption of
standards video codecs because the providers now focus on the management of
the media, metadata and presentation layer.

Christine