Re: Purpose of List [was Re: ACTION: Top Social Networking services]

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Christine Perey<cperey@perey.com> wrote:
> Hello Harry et al.
>
> Please permit me to paraphrase in a language with which I am more familiar
> and to parse your objectives more clearly (for me, at least):
>
> Three Purposes:
>
> A. To perform an inventory of services which have (and have not) already
> implemented:
>
>    (1) one or more of the protocols which are on the list below
>
>            OpenID, OAuth, OpenMicroBlogging, OpenSocial, FOAF, etc
>
>    (2) any open source software
>
> B. To perform an inventory of the member privacy policies for each service
>
> C. To study if and how "context" is used by each service on the list.
>
> ---------------------------
>
> My questions/comments:
>
> 1. What new insights will the fact that a service has (or has not)
> implemented A1 or A2 provide?
>
> How does knowing if a service has implemented one of these protocols help
> us? How does it help the service? The end users? Do we give the service a
> gold star? How is implementing OpenID (or another protocol on the list) more
> important or relevant than, for example, knowing if a service has
> implemented Facebook Connect (or, for purposes of argument, the MySpace
> equivalent)?

The wiki-page has been updated a bit, maybe this definition is better,
since instead of focusing on technologies it focuses on functions
provided by technologies [1]:

Purpose: What social networking services implement which technological
functionality, like single-server sign on (OpenID), widget sharing
(OpenSocial), exporting/importing of profile information
(PortableContacts, FOAF) and so on. Is there any open-source software
that runs these services (important for two open-source interoperable
implementations)? What is the policy and privacy settings for each
service? Do they allow use of context, and so can take advantage of
the mobile web?

Then we can try grouping technologies around functionalities, I've
made a brief list [2]:

    *  Single Sign-On: OpenID, FOAF+SSL
    * Data Portability Format: FOAF, PortableContacts, vCard
    * Data Portability API: OpenSocial API
    * Secure Data Interaction: OAuth
    * Presence and Activity: OpenSocial API

The rest of the comments re context and privacy I'm hoping people with
more expertise can answer. I

[1]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/TopSocialNetworkingSites
[2] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/SocialNetworkProperties