Re: lunch @ ESWC today...

Axel Polleres wrote:

> ... I reserved a table at lunch for those who signed up (10 persons, as
> far as I could see, hope that's enough) ... will take some notes.

Dear all,

I still owe you the minutes from our informal ESWC lunch meeting.
We had several non-group members atending who might be intersted to
join. They agreed on being named in these minutes.

Attendees:

- Yrjanä Rankka, OpenLink, non-member
interests: SPARQL, RDF2RDF

- Orri Erling, OpenLink, member
interests: SPARQL, RDF2RDF

- Jenny Green, Ordnance Survey, member
interests: RDB2RDF, SPARQL2SQL, spatial data

- Catherine Dolbear, Ordnance Survey, member
interests: RDB2(virtual)RDF, spatial data, SPARQL(+custom functions)

- Themis Palpanas, Univ. of Trento, non-member
interests:DB, DB engines, query optimization

- Richard Cyganiak, DERI, non-member
interests: DB2RDF Schema mapping, SPARQL, Data integration

- Paolo Bouquet, Univ. of Trento, non-member
interests: Global IDs for entities, entity matching, information inegration

- Farid Cerbah, Dassault Aviation, non-member
interests: RDB2RDF Transformation methods

- Jeff Z. Pan, Univ. of Aberdeen, non-member (not yet, will nominate)
interests: DB, RDF, OWL

- Olivier Rossel, freelance, non-member
interests: from the user to the GUI to the data to improve business
processes

- Axel Polleres, DERI, member
interests: SPARQL, XQuery, integration of RDBMS+XML+RDF

Topics we discussed:

  * Each attendee told a bit more about their personal interests and we
discussed what currently goes on in the XG from perspectives of the
present members: use cases and list of implementations are on the esw
wiki, f2f under discussion probably in october with ISWC or TPAC.

  * What will go into SPARQL WG re-charter?
   most probably updates, self-description,
  starting points here could be: SPARUL by Andy Seaborne, the DARQ
vocabulary for self-description presented by Bastian Qullitz at ESWC, etc.

  * How does his affect us?
    Can we standardize mappings from DB to RDF?
    If something like SPARUL becomes a standard, can we similarly
    standardize mappings for updates as well?

  * Are we "only" about RDBMS + RDF, or should we also be
    about RDBMS + RDF + XML?

It was good to see all faces there, hope to have a "real" f2f soon...
definitly inspiring discussions, maybe we can raise the bullet points
above in one of the future teleconfs.

BTW (personal opinion): maybe we should also discuss whether an how we
should liaise with other WGs (DAWG, OWL, RIF, etc.)

I'd appreciate any additions from other persons present should I have
accidently ommitted something!

best,
Axel