Re: [MMSEM] Music Use Case & FOAF

From: RaphaŽl Troncy <Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 18:16:43 +0200
To: Yves Raimond <yves.raimond@elec.qmul.ac.uk>
CC: Oscar Celma <ocelma@iua.upf.edu>, Michiel Hildebrand <Michiel.Hildebrand@cwi.nl>, public-xg-mmsem@w3.org

Hi Yves,

Thanks for these comments!

> > * tags['album'] => NOT DONE. I couldn't find a way to link a track to
> > its album-release in the MO, only the other way around: "an album
> > mo:has_track track".
> >
> I don't really see what is the problem? Do you really need the inverse
> property here? We had lots of discussion on this on the MO mailing list,
> and it was tricky to find the right trade off between `simplicity' for
> the user (=> all properties have an inverse) and the simplicity on the
> `querying' side (=>if I have a RDF store without reasoning, it will be
> quite tricky to look for each statement in the two possible ways).
>
> Finally, what we decided was to indeed create these inverse properties,
> but marking them as unstable. But in this particular case, I don't
> really see why mo:has_track is not enough?

Please, correct me if I'm wrong but, the point is that mo:has_track is a
property between a mo:Record and a mo:Track. (a mo:Record being a
mo:MuscialManifestation). We would like to have the inverse property because
sometimes you want to describe an individual song (mo:Track) and say from
which album (mo:Record) it comes from.
Defining an inverse property will certainly not add complexity to the model
(nor from the point of view of reasoning) so I don't see where there is a
tradeoff ... if people don't need it, they don't use it.
>From  the query side, the complexity will not be higher, both with or
without OWL/RDF(S)/RDF reasoning.

Best regards.

    RaphaŽl