MPEG liaison

Dear all

Concerning MPEG liaison (action recorded at
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/20-mmsem-minutes.html#action01,
http://www.w3.org/2006/09/14-mmsem-minutes.html#action01):

* A colleague of mine went to last (77th) MPEG meeting at Klagenfurt,
Austria. One contact was made with the Photo Player MAF group. A
presentation was given of the aceMedia system and a demo will probably
follow in the next (78th) meeting in 23-27/10 at Hangzhou, China. The issue
of liaisons was discussed with Kate Grant (MPEG Liaisons) and Leonardo
Chiariglione (Convener) (http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/sc29/29w12911.htm). One
way for the liaison is informal, if the right person is found and
interested. Unfortunately this gave no results.

* Another (recommended) way is formal. The terms are descibed (very shortly)
in http://www.chiariglione.org/mpeg/terms_of_reference.htm, section 8.9:

	8.9 MPEG-Liaison
	Name: Liaison
	Title: Liaisons with other bodies
	Area of Work: Develop and execute a unified approach to handle
relations with external entities
	Programme of work
	    * Develop a map of environments involved in areas related to
MPEG activities
	    * Handle relations with designated entities

* Active MPEG liaisons are listed in
http://www.chiariglione.org/mpeg/liaisons.htm. What's very interesting is
that there's already a liaison to W3C listed there, with a vacant position
on the W3C side (!):

	W3C: World Wide Web Consortium
	Liaison Representative from SC29: Dr. Jane Hunter, Dr. Jean-Claude
Dufourd
	Liaison Representative to SC29: vacant

* So a first step may be to consult Jane Hunter; she was already involved in
the MMTF and aware of our activities.

* Otherwise, we may proceed to a new request. We have a couple of templates
we can use, so I could prepare a document. I can then discuss with Kate
Grant to check it's ok and finally upload it to http://mpeg.nist.gov/
(restricted access). The request, along with all documents uploaded there as
input to the 78th meeting by 17/10, will be discussed in the meeting and a
response (liaison statement) will be given during or following that, as
output. *Important*: if we don't complete this process by 17/10, it will
have to wait till the following meeting, that is another 3 months.

I hope this helps. Waiting for feedback on how to proceed.

Best regards
Yannis