W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xg-lld@w3.org > January 2011

Minutes of 2011-01-13 LLD meeting

From: Uldis Bojars <captsolo@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 15:04:30 +0200
Message-ID: <AANLkTim_7JXw9gh+YnrFMHZH85caOHHkMNcgcX_5F42_@mail.gmail.com>
To: public-xg-lld <public-xg-lld@w3.org>
Hi,

The minutes of the most recent LLD conference call are at
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/13-lld-minutes.html

A text version of minutes follows.

Uldis

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                LLD XG

13 Jan 2011

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jan/0055.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2011/01/13-lld-irc

Attendees

   Present
          TomB, Antoine, monica, jeff_, Kcoyle, pmurray, uldis, marcia,
          michaelp, rsinger, kai, emma, kefo, edsu, GordonD, jneubert,
          digikim, Jodi

   Regrets
          anette, lars, felix, asaf, ray

   Chair
          Tom

   Scribe
          uldis

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Admin
         2. [6]Report from ALA Mid-Winter and LITA/ALCTS actions
         3. [7]Use Cases
     * [8]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

   <TomB> Previous:
   [9]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/06-lld-minut
   es.html

      [9] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/06-lld-minutes.html

   <TomB> Scribe: uldis

Admin

   propose to accept minutes of last week's telco

   resolved

   <emma> RESOLVED: To accept
   [10]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/06-lld-minu
   tes.html

     [10] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/06-lld-minutes.html

   Tom: start with report from Karen

Report from ALA Mid-Winter and LITA/ALCTS actions

   2nd time held a meeting at NALA

   included people from LOC

   enough signatures to turn it into an official ALA interest group.
   will be in the program, meet twice a year

   kcoyle: did gap analysis. will establish a discussion area, post it
   online

   <digikim> lol, data speeddating :)

   kcoyle: came up with the idea for "data speed-dating" events

   <emma> +1 for data speed-dating ;-)

   <digikim> +1

   kcoyle: there's interest in developing LLD
   ... people surprised we received no use cases re traditional library
   data (re MARC, RDA, ...)
   ... a lack of the way for to move what we have today into linked
   data
   ... wrote 2 reports: on SemWeb (award for best report) and on RDA

   congrats! :)

   <GordonD> I can add a use-case for migrating from legacy records
   (MARC, etc.) to the BibData cluster

   scribe: will we do something re traditional library data?
   ... will send a link for a report from the meeting.

   <antoine> [11]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Vocabularies

     [11] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Vocabularies

   antoine: asking about lack of traditional library data use cases.
   RDA is mentioned in ~3 use cases.

   kcoyle: will look into it.

   <GordonD> I think we need something specific about legacy data and
   migrating to lld

   kcoyle: i think what people expected was a use case about that

   <rsinger> formally?

   TomB: can we add an action re this?

   <GordonD> I've already volunteered

   <rsinger> yeah, i'll definitely volunteer

   <jodi> Gordan++

   <GordonD> Yes, please action this to me

   <scribe> ACTION: Gordon and Ross to review use cases in light of
   migration of legacy data [recorded in
   [12]http://www.w3.org/2011/01/13-lld-minutes.html#action01]

     [12] http://www.w3.org/2011/01/13-lld-minutes.html#action01

   <GordonD> Tom - you missed out the Collections cluster

Use Cases

   <scribe> ACTION: TomB to link cluster pages to
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/FinalReportOutline --
   done [recorded in
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2011/01/13-lld-minutes.html#action02][DONE]

     [13] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/FinalReportOutline
     [14] http://www.w3.org/2011/01/13-lld-minutes.html#action02

   <marcia> we have a UC
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Linked_Data_a
   nd_legacy_library_applications

     [15] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Linked_Data_and_legacy_library_applications

   <marcia> a UC by uldis

   TomB: vocabulary alignment
   ... onging action by Antoine and Michael
   ... main topic for this week

   <TomB> ACTION: Antoine and Michael to curate vocabulary alignment
   cluster for end of December [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minu
   tes.html#action07] [CONTINUES]

     [16] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action07

   antoine: vocabulary alignment cluster joined by Marcia who
   contributed
   ... cluster motivation: many institutions have specific vocabs to
   describe their collections
   ... different metadata schemas
   ... various thesauri, classification systems
   ... causes problems for managing that data. objective: to solve the
   problem of access to collections by end-users.
   ... use cases where users want to access multiple collections, via
   unified access points.
   ... examples: Europeana, other integrated search services
   ... need to relate these vocabularies
   ... applies both to search and exploring collections
   ... also has metadata management scenarios. for creating new
   vocabularies or matching existing vocabs.
   ... one specific cases concerned with that
   ... match between these motivations and the linked data

   <Zakim> TomB, you wanted to ask whether "alignment" should include
   also element sets and datasets

   TomB: cluster is defined about vocabulary alignment, but noted in
   text it is also true for metadata elem set alignment
   ... is alignment of data sets also covered here (or somewhere else?)

   <marcia> Tom: do you mean to change to 'alignment' regardless of if
   it is on the vocabulary level or value level?

   antoine: both alignment of vocabs and element sets.
   ... don't have use cases that talk about data sets

   <rsinger> Sorry, everybody, need to bow out for another meeting.

   antoine: received a number of case studies in this cluster

   <GordonD> The BibData has a de-duplication use-case, but it is at
   record level, not lld

   antoine: identified other cases relevant to the cluster

   <antoine>
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Cluster_VocAlign_Relev
   antCases

     [17] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Cluster_VocAlign_RelevantCases

   antoine: collected in this link all the cases from cluster which are
   relevant. some could be about data sets.

   <Zakim> emma, you wanted to talk about similarities with Archives

   emma: in archives cluster one of main topics of interest: archives
   want to relate their objects with one another
   ... aligning value vocabularies. similar to this cluster.

   <Zakim> TomB, you wanted to suggest analytical approach to "relevant
   technologies"

   michaelp: looking at relevant technologies for merging vocabularies.
   need analytic view to various approaches.
   ... have links to various services, frameworks.
   ... ... by technical approaches - how they are making and publishing
   mappings

   <Zakim> michaelp, you wanted to mention problems with defining data
   set alignment

   michaelp: should be careful with what we define as aligning data
   sets and vocabularies
   ... there's big overlap. very real issue.
   ... but in vocab alignment you establish more semantic
   relationships. there similarity with data sets ends.

   TomB: also an issue with provenance information (in the notes)
   ... Marcia, Antoine: what further input is needed on this call or on
   the list
   ... how close are to having the action done and having a draft?

   <marcia> We have two cases seemed to belong to other clusters

   antoine: would like to have input re selection of cases
   ... problem: have 2 cases where did not see a link with vocab
   alignment
   ... subject search
   ... component vocabularies
   ... if could have input from people who created them
   ... worked on stabilizing scenarios
   ... concept-based search; mediation between vocabs; vocab emerging
   ... also relation to an interesting use case for natural language
   processing

   scribe: trying to organize and validate the problems section

   <marcia> maybe we can also summarize the types of alignment
   'parties'.

   TomB: please post a message to curators of use cases (re cases where
   don't see a link)

   <marcia> +Antoine. Great report.

   CLUSTER Archives and heterogeneous data

   <kcoyle> done

   <scribe> ACTION: Kcoyle to see if Archives cluster reveals problems
   or limitations -- things missing from the available technology that
   would make LLD implementable [DONE] [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2011/01/13-lld-minutes.html#action04]

     [18] http://www.w3.org/2011/01/13-lld-minutes.html#action04

   kcoyle: action completed, sent to the list

   <jodi>
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/index.php?title=Cluste
   r_VocAlign&oldid=2627#Problems_and_limitations

     [19] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/index.php?title=Cluster_VocAlign&oldid=2627#Problems_and_limitations

   <TomB>
   [20]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jan/0034.h
   tml

     [20] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jan/0034.html

   kcoyle: other cluster has those. suggest that all clusters see what
   gaps, problems are there and send to Karen
   ... Karen can put them together

   <marcia> Karen: Antoine organized those gaps according to your
   category/outline.
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Cluster_VocAlign

     [21] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Cluster_VocAlign

   TomB: so that we have something comparable between clusters.

   TomB: should assume actions carried forward?

   <GordonD> +1

   <emma> ok

   TomB: yes

   CLUSTER Bibliographic data

   scribe: put on the agenda for next week

   <scribe> ACTION: Gordon and Martin to curate bibliographic data
   cluster for end of December [recorded in
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minu
   tes.html#action05][CONTINUES]

     [22] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action05

   CLUSTER Authority data: curators Jeff, Alex

   scribe: re document in google docs. a time estimate?

   who was speaking?

   jeff_: at least couple of weeks off

   CLUSTER Citations: curators Ed, Kai, Peter

   <pmurray> No update

   <pmurray> I think we are done at the moment.

   TomB: what is status on this cluster?

   <pmurray> Unless there are outstanding questions, we're done.

   TomB: work is done

   <emma> add a problems & limitation section ?

   CLUSTER Digital objects: curators Mark, Jodi, Asaf

   TomB: estimate was next week. status update?
   ... candidate for discussion the week after next

   jodi: that's fine

   <antoine> Tom we lost you!

   <antoine> Can you reconnect?

   <antoine> OK

   antoine: was action to incorporate a use case re map archive

   <scribe> ACTION: Curators of Archives and Digital Objects clusters
   to incorporate Use Case NLL Digitized Map Archive
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_NLL_Digitized
   _Map_Archive [recorded in
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/06-lld-minu
   tes.html#action12] [DONE]

     [23] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_NLL_Digitized_Map_Archive
     [24] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/06-lld-minutes.html#action12

   <kcoyle> yes

   <kcoyle> but you are him

   TomB is back

   jodi: action done, incorporated into the digital obj cluster

   <scribe> NEW CLUSTER Social uses (Uldis, Jodi)

   jodi: put together a call for use cases

   <antoine> Uldis: we have written a draft

   <antoine> ... we'll send it to the group to see if there are
   suggestions from the group

   <GordonD> Collections cluster should be finished by the end of
   January

   <scribe> NEW CLUSTER Collections (Gordon)

   TomB: pointed to outlines. is there a wiki page?

   <jodi>
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Cluster_Collections

     [25] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Cluster_Collections

   GordonD: there is start of wiki page

   <Zakim> antoine, you wanted to ask about volunteers on this cluster?

   GordonD: can link to it.

   <kcoyle> i will

   GordonD: looking for volunteed for the cluster

   <TomB> karen++ !

   kcoyle: will join the cluster

   <scribe> ACTION: GordonD to curate collection cluster [recorded in
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/06-lld-minu
   tes.html#action11][CONTINUES]

     [26] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/06-lld-minutes.html#action11

   INDIVIDUAL USE CASES

   TomB: an action for each use case curator

   <antoine>

   <scribe> ACTION: For each use case curator: on the Vocabularies page
   ([27]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Vocabularies) link to
   each URL use case that uses it [recorded in
   [28]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minu
   tes.html#action01] does it need to be continued?

     [27] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Vocabularies)
     [28] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action01

   <emma> I just added the Collections Cluster page to the final report
   outline

   UNKNOWN_SPEAKER: do we need to link each use case that uses
   particular vocab to the vocab page?
   ... or can the action be dropped.

   <kcoyle> i'm not clear what the purpose is... i also think it could
   be considered done

   antoine: action is done

   <GordonD> Generally, any new use cases added need to remember to
   update terminologies/vocabularies/links, etc.

   <marcia> + Gordon

   <kcoyle> no list will be complete -- this is good enough

   TomB: decided to drop the action

   <scribe> ACTION: For each use case curator: on the Vocabularies page
   ([29]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Vocabularies) link to
   each URL use case that uses it [recorded in
   [30]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minu
   tes.html#action01] [DONE]

     [29] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Vocabularies)
     [30] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action01

   TomB: end of today's agenda. any other comments?
   ... topic next week = bibliographic data

   <jeff_>
   [31]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jan/0037.h
   tml

     [31] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jan/0037.html

   jeff_: has an action that's done

   <scribe> ACTION: Jeff to write one or two paragraphs on VIAF design
   discussions as per
   [32]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lld/2010Oct/0107.html
   [recorded in
   [33]http://www.w3.org/2010/11/18-lld-minutes.html#action06] [DONE]

     [32] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lld/2010Oct/0107.html
     [33] http://www.w3.org/2010/11/18-lld-minutes.html#action06

   <scribe> --done

   TomB: thought that design discussion also talked re relation b/w
   authority data and real-world objects
   ... this issue needs to be covered (but can be covered in the
   authority data cluster)
   ... this was telco #24
   ... we have 15-20 telcos left
   ... no concrete plans for F2F. we're in good shape, clusters are
   looking good.

   <scribe> ... finished for the week

   <kcoyle> uldis - great job!

   <michaelp> Thanks!

   kcoyle - cheers! :)

   <emma> thanks Uldis :-)

   <marcia> uldis , great

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Gordon and Ross to review use cases in light of
   migration of legacy data [recorded in
   [34]http://www.w3.org/2011/01/13-lld-minutes.html#action01]

     [34] http://www.w3.org/2011/01/13-lld-minutes.html#action01

   [DONE] ACTION: Curators of Archives and Digital Objects clusters to
   incorporate Use Case NLL Digitized Map Archive
   [35]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_NLL_Digitized
   _Map_Archive [recorded in
   [36]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/06-lld-minu
   tes.html#action12]
   [DONE] ACTION: For each use case curator: on the Vocabularies page
   ([37]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Vocabularies) link to
   each URL use case that uses it [recorded in
   [38]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minu
   tes.html#action01]
   [DONE] ACTION: Kcoyle to see if Archives cluster reveals problems or
   limitations -- things missing from the available technology that
   would make LLD implementable [recorded in
   [39]http://www.w3.org/2011/01/13-lld-minutes.html#action04]
   [DONE] ACTION: TomB to link cluster pages to
   [40]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/FinalReportOutline
   [recorded in
   [41]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/06-lld-minu
   tes.html#action05]
   [DONE] ACTION: Jeff to write one or two paragraphs on VIAF design
   discussions as per
   [42]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lld/2010Oct/0107.html
   [recorded in
   [43]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/11/18-lld-minu
   tes.html#action06]

     [35] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_NLL_Digitized_Map_Archive
     [36] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/06-lld-minutes.html#action12
     [37] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Vocabularies
     [38] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action01
     [39] http://www.w3.org/2011/01/13-lld-minutes.html#action04
     [40] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/FinalReportOutline
     [42] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lld/2010Oct/0107.html
     [43] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/11/18-lld-minutes.html#action06

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [44]scribe.perl version 1.135
    ([45]CVS log)
    $Date: 2011/01/14 17:35:56 $

     [44] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [45] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Monday, 17 January 2011 13:05:02 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 17 January 2011 13:05:04 GMT