Application profiles vs. OWL??

From: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:52:21 +0200
To: public-xg-lld <public-xg-lld@w3.org>
Hi everyone,

A belated reaction onthe sentence
>What LLD can bring is clarification of when using application profiles and when using OWL

found in the minutes of last call [1].

I find that expression a bit strange. Gordon puts it better at [2]:
> here does not seem to be a consensus on when application profiles or ontologies should be used, or, indeed, whether there is any fundamental difference.

To me OWL should be indeed a tool to specify APs, and not an alternative to APs.
Jeff and Ross promised something on this for the (optional part of the) F2F meeting [3], that seems to me a very crucial idea to explore. I'm looking forwards to hear what they have to say, in fact :-)

Cheers,

Antoine

[1]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/09/09-lld-minutes.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_standards_and_linked_data#Application_profiles_or_OWL_ontologies