Minutes of XG meeting, Sept. 2, 2010

From: Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 13:44:13 -0700
To: "public-xg-lld@w3.org" <public-xg-lld@w3.org>
Online at:

Special thanks to Antoine and Emma who did much work to help me get
through my first scribe duty.

********** Text version *************

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

       [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Sep/0007.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2010/09/02-lld-irc

           emma, aseiler, jeff, GordonD, jneubert, antoine, fsasaki,
           marma, ww, marcia, digikim, kcoyle, TomB, edsu, matolat,
           jodi, AlexanderH, kevinf, rsinger, jon, bernard, michaelp

           Ray, Monica, Lars, Nicolas, Oreste

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Admin
          2. [6]Use cases
          3. [7]name section
          4. [8]owner section
          5. [9]goal section
          6. [10]use case scenario section
          7. [11]application of linked data section
          8. [12]Existing work section
          9. [13]vocabularies section
         10. [14]problems and limitations section
         11. [15]related use cases section
         12. [16]lld data dimensions/topics section
         13. [17]references section
         14. [18]prototypes and applications
         15. [19]call email text
         16. [20]what lists to send mail to?
      * [21]Summary of Action Items

    <emma> Previous minutes :

    can onyone else scribe I can't get the phone line :(

    <edsu> kevinf++ # glad to have you here :-)

    Nice number is down and Bristol is busy

    <emma> Scribe: Karen

    <emma> scribenick: kcoyle

    <antoine> Agenda:

      [23] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Sep/0007.html

    <bernard> thanks Karen, sorry about that

    RESOLUTION: accept previous telecon minutes

    <Zakim> TomB, you wanted to say I have created a draft agenda at

      [24] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/JointMeeting2010

    f2f meeting: Tom - has posted draft agenda

    page is on wiki

    signups on wiki page for attendence at f2f: all sign up on page

    ACTION: Potential attendees in Pittsburgh to use wiki page to
    indicate whether they are attending or not at
    [25]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F recorded in

      [25] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F
      [26] http://www.w3.org/2010/08/26-lld-minutes.html#action01

    Cologne possible informal meeting, Dec. 1, morning

    <jneubert> Full SWIB10 programme now online at

      [27] http://swib.org/swib10/

    <jneubert> Doodle poll still open, please add your name if you want
    to join later on: [28]http://www.doodle.com/tdxwapytnxrsm4tm

      [28] http://www.doodle.com/tdxwapytnxrsm4tm

Use cases

    ACTION: kai will try to update Karen's use case [recorded in
    [29]http://www.w3.org/2010/08/26-lld-minutes.html#action03] [DONE]

      [29] http://www.w3.org/2010/08/26-lld-minutes.html#action03

      [30] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Talk:Use_Case_Template

    Discussion on list has been added to Talk page of template

    <edsu> +1

    AlexanderH: use same template for use cases and for case studies?

    Alexander: template designed for use cases; can same template be
    used also for case studies?

    Antoine: dual use could mean some difference in how sections are
    used, but should be ok

    <bernard> no objection

    RESOLUTION: use same template for use cases and case studies

    <Zakim> jodi, you wanted to suggest that we can get responses by
    email or in the public wiki

name section -- ok

owner section -- ok

    <Zakim> jneubert, you wanted to suggest to make the other sections
    not subchapters of Name

    <antoine> Just changed it!

goal - there have been problems with this one. needs to be clear that
it is goal of user, not of use case

    "user goal"?

    Antoine: leave as is

    RESOLUTION: do not change goal section today

use case scenario section -

    Alexander: may not be applicable to case studies

    kcoyle:i thought this was one of the easier sections

    Jeff: sees no problem using for both types

    <TomB> +1 - do not see a problem using use case scenario for case

    Antoine: also in favor of keeping it

    <Zakim> edsu, you wanted to ask about actors

    <antoine> actors is given maybe by the next section "target
    audience" :-)

    edsu: had some trouble with who the actor is; actor as person rather
    than software

    <ww> can't hear the discussion, but just to make a point that came
    up on the openbiblio list, w.r.t. owl:sameAs - representations of
    information are tied closely to the intent of the users of the
    information - their goals, the context. "relevance" of properties,
    attributes, rules, etc. always as to do with this, it is really,
    "relevant given the intent and context of the user"

    Jeff: tried to get human purpose into case, included both human and

    <edsu> thanks jeff

    antoine: target audience would be place for person

    <Zakim> jodi, you wanted to ask about the use case template and how
    to solicit the info we need

    <edsu> antoine: i like that idea of having the target audience guide
    who the actors are

    <jeff_> +1

    Jodi: might be easier to have more interactive way to get
    ... with a curator who receives the case

    antoine: need template, but for skos use cases asked for use cases
    by mail and could go back and ask questions if needed. Is that what
    jodi intends?

    jodi: more about preface

    should target audience be before scenario in template?

    edsu: good to think about who you are writing it for earlier in

    <jeff_> +1

    <bernard> I don't see "target audience" at

      [31] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Template

    RESOLUTION: move target audience before scenario

    <Zakim> antoine, you wanted to ask whether my small explanation text
    is ok...

    audience = main audience for case; should we add computer as
    possible audience?

    RESOLUTION: Add computer as possible audience

    <ww> PHILOSOPHICAL DIVERSION: can a computer have intent?

application of linked data section

    jeff: use of URI patterns tends to distract from case; hard to come
    up with realistic examples that look like good URIs

    Alex: could talk about use of patterns in scenario, to explain
    examples in linked data

    jeff: perhaps uri patterns deserve their own use case

    <marcia> I like to see it

    <jneubert> +1 for using uri patterns in describing use cases

    <Zakim> TomB, you wanted to ask how "patterns" are coming into
    discussion and whether this notion should be captured in the
    template - note: relates to application profiles

    <jodi> to me, URI patterns seem like something separate (standards
    of practice, best practices) -- not a 'use case'

    <marcia> maybe URI patterns to be a wiki page

    TomB: re: patterns; not directly related to templates, but more
    related to application profiles

    Antoine: patterns is an important issue, but not the only one.
    better not to try to fit them all into use cases

    <TomB> +1 okay, not trying to fit them into all use cases

    <jeff_> +1

Existing work section

    discussion page has new wording

    RESOLUTION: accept wording on discussion page

vocabularies -- no discussion

problems and limitations section --

    <Zakim> antoine, you wanted to make it optional?

    Antoine: this should be optional

    RESOLUTION: make problems and limitations optional section

related use cases section

    no comments

lld data dimensions/topics -- propose drop it

    <edsu> +1

    <jneubert> +1

    <jeff_> +1

    <antoine> antoine: let's keep that beast just for us :-)

    <matolat> +1

    use only to curate use cases afterward

    <edsu> antoine: yes, i think they will be useful for analysis after
    we get them

    <bernard> +1

    RESOLUTION: drop LLD Dimension/topics section for call for use
    cases; keep for curation

references section --- no problems

prototypes and applications -- put content under existing work instead

    <antoine> I've made the changes we agreed on at

      [32] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Template

call email text

      [33] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Call_Mail

    <marcia> I wonder if 'research' and 'experiments' are also welcome
    or not.

    marcia: do these have to be real uses, or can research activities be

    answer: anything should be welcome

    <antoine> the draft mail mentions "considering doing it in the near
    future" :-)

    <digikim> does the answerers know what linked data is?

    ACTION: group to comment on email text at
    [34]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Call_Mail by
    Monday, Sept. 6 [recorded in

      [34] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Call_Mail

    <marcia> suggest to add a link to the Linked Data basic principles

    <matolat> is Library Linked Data a well know definition? Will we get
    straight Linked Data case?

    <jeff_> here's the spec: [36]http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/

      [36] http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/

    <marcia> Refer to this page?

      [37] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html

    antoine: need use case curation team; for interaction with use case

    <jodi> I would like to volunteer for curation. :)

    emmanuelle volunteers

    alex also "volunteers"

    <digikim> how do we select who to send the questionary?

    <antoine> yes that's the next point :-)

what lists to send mail to?

    <marcia> we should have a page of the listservs, e.g., IFLA-L,
    ASIST... and decide who will send

      [38] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SKOS/DisseminationLists.html

    ACTION: by Monday members should add to list of email lists at
    [recorded in

      [39] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Dissemination_Lists

    <bernard> proposal : push the announcement URL on our respective
    Twitter status

    <emma> [adjourned]

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: by Monday members should add to list of email lists at
    [recorded in
    [NEW] ACTION: group to comment on email text at
    [43]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Call_Mail by
    Monday, Sept. 6 [recorded in

      [41] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Dissemination_Lists
      [43] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Call_Mail

    [PENDING] ACTION: Potential attendees in Pittsburgh to use wiki page
    to indicate whether they are attending or not at
    [45]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F recorded in
    [PENDING] ACTION: Everyone to elaborate on topics in the wiki
    [recorded in
    [PENDING] ACTION: Gordon will prepare something on RDA, FRBR etc.
    for discussion in Sept. agenda [recorded in

      [45] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F
      [46] http://www.w3.org/2010/08/26-lld-minutes.html#action01

    [DONE] ACTION: kai will try to update Karen's use case [recorded in

      [49] http://www.w3.org/2010/08/26-lld-minutes.html#action03

    [End of minutes]

     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [50]scribe.perl version 1.135
     ([51]CVS log)
     $Date: 2010/09/02 20:08:54 $

      [50] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [51] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/