W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xg-lld@w3.org > July 2010

Re: New Use Case Template and Examples

From: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 17:14:25 +0200
Message-ID: <4C407751.9080003@few.vu.nl>
To: Kai Eckert <eckert@bib.uni-mannheim.de>
CC: public-xg-lld <public-xg-lld@w3.org>
Hi Kai, Emmanuelle, Alexander,

Great job! As you say we can still discuss the template, especially the relation with the "dimensions" and "topics" as started previously. But it's obvious you've brought the template to an almost final form. And this shows in the use case descriptions, which I found really fruitful a reading.

Now it would be interesting to see others have a try against the template! Especially our participants who added a line at http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCaseNotes :-)

Cheers,

Antoine

PS: Btw I won't review everything in the use case, but in the "problems" for [2], I'd have added that owl:sameAs is also not perfect for representation of equivalence relationships, as discussed (again) here during the previous couple of weeks  ;-)



> And of course, I forgot the links...
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Template
> [2]
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Authority_Data_Enrichment
> [3] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Digital_Preservation
>
> Some additional remarks about my wiki changes:
>
> I rearranged the UseCases page a little bit and moved it to Use_Cases:
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Cases (UseCases is redirected)
>
> I have copied the contents of Topics3 to Topics and marked Topics3 as
> deprecated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kai
>
>
> Kai Eckert schrieb:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Emmanuelle, Alexander and I finished our work on the redesign of the
>> template based on two example use cases. The template [1], as well as
>> the two use cases [2,3] can be found in the wiki.
>>
>> Beside some minor text clarifications, the main changes are as follows:
>>
>>     * Additional section "Application of linked data": We needed this to
>> separate the linked data specific content from the actual use case
>> scenario. This should encourage contributors to really step back from
>> the possible linked data implementation and think independently about
>> the actual use case.
>>
>>     * We moved the "Existing Work" section upwards, after the
>> "Application of Linked Data" section: This should encourage another
>> abstraction, we want to separate principle linked data solutions from
>> actual solutions that might be used to fulfill the use case.
>>
>> In other words: Application of linked data should *not* describe library
>> domain specific things. Existing work *should* describe library domain
>> specific solutions.
>>
>>     * Additional section "Related Vocabularies": Here we just gather
>> information about vocabularies, which might be valuable for an overall
>> report.
>>
>> The "Problems and Limitations" section should then be used to describe
>> problems on all levels of the former sections: problems with the whole
>> scenario, linked data specific problems, problems with existing works
>> and/or vocabularies.
>>
>>     * The section "Unanticipated Uses" is extended with "Related Use
>> Cases" and can be used to group use cases together, as well as encourage
>> new use cases.
>>
>>     * The Section "Dimensions" is currently called Dimensions / Topics
>> and has been moved to the end of the template: that was already
>> suggested on the mailing list. As a preliminary result: The topics have
>> to be cleaned up to use them for the use cases, they need at least
>> shorter and clearer names and they should not overlap. The dimensions
>> were not sufficient for the Digital Preservation use case and should be
>> extended.
>>
>>     * Additional section "References"
>>
>> Regarding the dimensions/topics, we think that we (the XG, not we three
>> ;-)) should clean them up a little bit and then refine them later as we
>> see the need. At the end of the gathering process, we have to rework the
>> topics and dimensions anyway and make sure that they are in line with
>> the then-available use cases.
>>
>> That's it, now we can continue the discussion about the template.
>>
>> Thanks to Emmanuelle and Alexander, the work with you was very
>> productive and efficient (and pleasant!). And finally, I consider the
>> following actions as DELIVERED, yeah! :-)
>>
>> [NEW] ACTION: Alexander, kai, emma to populate the template for use
>> cases [recorded in
>> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minutes.html#action03]
>> [NEW] ACTION: stu, alexander, kai and emma to suggest another version of
>> the template. [recorded in
>> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minutes.html#action05]
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Kai
>>
>
Received on Friday, 16 July 2010 15:14:58 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 16 July 2010 15:14:58 GMT