W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xg-lld@w3.org > August 2010

Minutes of 2010-07-26 LLD meeting

From: Young,Jeff (OR) <jyoung@oclc.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:15:28 -0400
Message-ID: <52E301F960B30049ADEFBCCF1CCAEF5909827DF9@OAEXCH4SERVER.oa.oclc.org>
To: <public-xg-lld@w3.org>
Hi everyone,
 
Sorry for the delay. The minutes of yesterday’s call are at http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/26-lld-minutes.html
 
A text version follows.
 
Jeff
 
====

 

   [1]W3C
 
      [1] http://www.w3.org/
 
                                LLD XG
 
26 Aug 2010
 
   [2]Agenda
 
      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Aug/0089.html
 
   See also: [3]IRC log
 
      [3] http://www.w3.org/2010/08/26-lld-irc
 
Attendees
 
   Present
          AlexanderH, Andras, Anette, Felix, GordonD, Jeff, LC, TomB,
          antoine, aseiler, digikim, edsu, emma, fsasaki, jon, jphipps,
          kai, karen, kcoyle, marcia, michaelp, monica, rayd, rsinger,
          tituomin, whalb
 
   Regrets
          Bernard, Jodi, Jonathan, Oreste, Guenther, jneubert
 
   Chair
          antoine
 
   Scribe
          Jeff
 
Contents
 
     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Administrative
         2. [6]F2F meetings
         3. [7]Use cases and case studies
         4. [8]LLD Topic list
         5. [9]Other
         6. [10]Upcoming topics
     * [11]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________
 
   <antoine> Scribe: Jeff
 
Administrative
 
   Previous minutes:
   [12]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/19-lld-minu
   tes.html
 
     [12] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/19-lld-minutes.html
 
   <GordonD> minutes ok with me
 
   RESOLUTION: accept previous telecon minutes
 
F2F meetings
 
   Tom: Joint meeting of LLD XG and DCMI architecture group
   ... Discuss application profiles and how they can be applied in both
   groups
   ... Look for patterns in application profiles and how they could be
   applied in the Linked Data context
 
   <emma> F2F meetings :
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F
 
     [13] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F
 
   Saturday and Sunday, 23 and 24 October - confirmed
 
   Face-to-face meeting of LLD XG
 
   <GordonD> I will definitely be attending the F2F meeting in
   Pittsburgh
 
   ACTION: Potential attendees in Pittsburgh to use wiki page to
   indicate whether they are attending or not at
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F recorded in
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2010/08/26-lld-minutes.html#action01]
 
     [14] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F=
     [15] http://www.w3.org/2010/08/26-lld-minutes.html#action01
 
   <rsinger> I will definitely not be, unfortunately
 
   <kai> People can edit their states, just changed my to stron yes :-)
 
   Cologne F2F
 
   <GordonD> doodle poll link for cologne is not working
 
   <aseiler> doodle poll for cologne:
   [16]http://www.doodle.com/tdxwapytnxrsm4tm
 
     [16] http://www.doodle.com/tdxwapytnxrsm4tm
 
Use cases and case studies
 
   Deadline was yesterday for submitting use cases
 
   8 use cases submitted
 
   ACTION: Everyone to create use cases on the "use case note" page
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCaseNotes. Not more
   than 2 persons per case. Deadline august 25. [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minu
   tes.html#action04] [DONE]
 
     [17] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCaseNotes.
     [18] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minutes.html#action04
 
   Review of individual use cases:
 
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Authority_Dat
   a_Enrichment
 
     [19] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Authority_Data_Enrichment
 
   <kai> better start with use cases from others
 
   Bibliographic Network
 
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Bibliographic
   _Network
 
     [20] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Bibliographic_Network
 
   <rsinger> there's tod
 
   <rsinger> if'n you want him to talk about the use case
 
   <matolat> sorry I can't join the call
 
   <rsinger> well, no then :)
 
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Subject_Searc
   h
 
     [21] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Subject_Search
 
   <antoine> Jeff: I'm not finished
 
   <antoine> ... but I like the template
 
   <antoine> Jeff: I wouldn't change the templates on the section I
   started
 
   <antoine> Kai: it's not a problem that youcouldn't use a
   section,it's just that you're not there yet
 
   Jeff: The template worked well for me so far. My use case is
   incomplete
 
   Open Library Data
 
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Open_Library_
   Data
 
     [22] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Open_Library_Data
 
   Karen: Not sure how linked data applied to use case and how topics
   could be applied
 
   <rsinger> btw, i have a copy of the OL data in a platform store
   (therefore, has sparql): [23]http://api.talis.com/stores/openlibrary
 
     [23] http://api.talis.com/stores/openlibrary
 
   AlexanderH: 2 use cases
   ... who are the actors? Use OL as one provider for such data
 
   karen: OL is a real use case
   ... we don't have applications that use Linked Data
 
   AlexanderH: Who is the user and what are the interactions?
 
   Kai: The goal isn't to have Linked Data
   ... What is the problem and why is Linked Data the best solution?
   ... Linked Data is a means, not an ends
   ... Linked Data can be used to express requirements for use cases
 
   antoine: can use case be adapted to accommodate AlexanderH's
   perspective?
 
   <Kai> wasn't me speaking it was Kai
 
   kcoyle: Kai's view seems like a different use case
 
   Kai: Assumes use cases come from a user's perspective
 
   antoine: use case seems similar to
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Subject_Searc
   h
 
     [24] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Subject_Search
 
   <marcia> **somehow my line was dropped
 
   <AlexanderH> +1 for naming the UC by the use case scenario
 
   <Zakim> emma, you wanted to comment on the name of the UC
 
   emma: use cases should describe user views rather than describing
   project
 
   <Zakim> edsu, you wanted to support kai
 
   edsu: concrete examples are important
 
   <GordonD> I'm expecting we will combine some use cases, and split
   others - but user should be the focus
 
   <Zakim> jphipps, you wanted to support Karen's notion that there
   should be multiple use cases
 
   jphipps: There is value in publishing the data without knowing how
   it will be used
 
   <GordonD> users are professional intermediaries. service developers,
   content providers, and ... end-users
 
   <kcoyle> +1
 
   emma: differentiate target audience in use case between user and
   producers
 
   <edsu> sometimes i even think users are computer programs :)
 
   <GordonD> +1
 
   <fsasaki> @ edsu: in some cases they are, see the "language
   technology" use case
 
   <jphipps> +1 edsu
 
   <edsu> fsasaki++
 
   <fsasaki> :)
 
   <TomB> +1 EdSu - and making this point explicit
 
   Kai: OK to indicate the target audience in the use case with focus
   on producer vs consumer
   ... but a consumer perspective provides greater insight why Linked
   Data is important
 
   antoine: producer-oriented use cases raises interesting problems
   that a user-perspective may miss
 
   <GordonD> I assume linked-data refers to architectures,
   applications, etc. as well as content (that is, instance triples and
   resorces with URIs)
 
   <rsinger> "You don't work on the goal you want, you work on the goal
   you have"
 
   edsu: why should the OL data base exposed as Linked Data?
 
   kcoyle: the stated goal is to make the data as useful as possible
 
   kai: change the goal section and generalize the use case name
 
   <rsinger> Would it make more sense to define the goal as "identify
   the resources and identifiers in the Open Library since it is an
   aggregate of multiple sources of data"?
 
   ACTION: kai will try to update Karen's use case [recorded in
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2010/08/26-lld-minutes.html#action03]
 
     [25] http://www.w3.org/2010/08/26-lld-minutes.html#action03
 
LLD Topic list
 
   ACTION: Everyone to elaborate on topics in the wiki [recorded in
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minu
   tes.html#action08] [CONTINUES]
 
     [26] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minutes.html#action08
 
Other
 
   ACTION: Marcia to post I2 comments to LLD list [recorded in
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/19-lld-minu
   tes.html#action02] [DONE]
 
     [27] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/19-lld-minutes.html#action02
 
   <antoine>
   [28]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Aug/0074.h
   tml
 
     [28] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Aug/0074.html
 
   <scribe> New wiki pages on Library data resources and terminology
   (Karen)
 
   [29]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_Data_Resources
 
     [29] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_Data_Resources
 
   [30]http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/Library_terminology_informally_ex
   plained
 
     [30] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/Library_terminology_informally_explained
 
   karen: feel free to add to these
 
Upcoming topics
 
   <antoine> ACTION: Gordon will prepare something on RDA, FRBR etc.
   for discussion in Sept. agenda [recorded in
   [31]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minu
   tes.html#action06] [CONTINUES]
 
     [31] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minutes.html#action06
 
   [adjourned]
 
Summary of Action Items
 
   [NEW] ACTION: kai will try to update Karen's use case [recorded in
   [32]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/26-lld-minu
   tes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: Potential attendees in Pittsburgh to use wiki page to
   indicate whether they are attending or not at
   [33]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F recorded in
   [34]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/26-lld-minu
   tes.html#action01]
 
     [33] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F
 
   [PENDING] ACTION: Everyone to elaborate on topics in the wiki
   [recorded in
   [35]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minu
   tes.html#action08]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Gordon will prepare something on RDA, FRBR etc.
   for discussion in Sept. agenda [recorded in
   [36]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minu
   tes.html#action06]
 
     [35] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minutes.html#action08
     [36] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minutes.html#action06
 
   [DONE] ACTION: Everyone to create use cases on the "use case note"
   page [37]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCaseNotes. Not
   more than 2 persons per case. Deadline august 25. [recorded in
   [38]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minu
   tes.html#action04]
   [DONE] ACTION: Marcia to post I2 comments to LLD list [recorded in
   [39]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/19-lld-minu
   tes.html#action02]
 
     [37] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCaseNotes.
     [38] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minutes.html#action04
     [39] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/19-lld-minutes.html#action02
 
   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________
 
 
    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [40]scribe.perl version 1.135
    ([41]CVS log)
    $Date: 2010/08/27 13:31:31 $
 
     [40] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/‾checkout‾/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [41] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
 

 

 

---

Jeffrey A. Young
Software Architect
OCLC Research, Mail Code 410
OCLC Online Computer Library Center, Inc.
6565 Kilgour Place
Dublin, OH 43017-3395
www.oclc.org <http://www.oclc.org> 

Voice: 614-764-4342
Voice: 800-848-5878, ext. 4342
Fax: 614-718-7477
Email: jyoung@oclc.org <mailto:jyoung@oclc.org> 

 
Received on Friday, 27 August 2010 15:16:46 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 27 August 2010 15:16:47 GMT