Re: is FRBR relevant?

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:55:43AM +0200, Antoine Isaac wrote:
> >I need to make an ugly query,
> >
> >     SELECT ?x WHERE {
> >         {
> >            ?x a Work .
> >            ?x dc:subject ?s.
> >            ?s rdf:value "World War, 1939-1945"
> >         } UNION {
> >            ?x a Work.
> >            ?x dc:subject ?s.
> >            ?s skos:label "World War, 1939-1945"
> >         }
> >     }
> >
> >As I've said before, this can be converted in an automated way
> >easily enough, but I think we (or one of the follow-on WGs)
> >makes a concrete recommendation that may supercede DC's
> >usage with respect to subjects from LCSH (and possibly
> >other authorities). At the very least if DC encouraged using
> >rdfs:label instead of rdf:value we would get (with description
> >logic) compatibility for free. Compatibility is obviously
> >not as straightforward with skosxl
>
> Very good point re. the DCAM stuff, William. Some months ago I heard about
> plans to update it to match SKOS practice--using (SKOS) labels and
> skos:inScheme, among others. Does anyone know the status of this?

Yes - the issue will be raised in a discussion paper, started
at [1], which will be presented and discussed as part of the
Friday afternoon joint meeting of the DCMI Architecture Forum
and LLD XG [2].  It has been suggested that the recommendation
in the guidelines for expressing Dublin Core metadata [3] be
revised to use skos:prefLabel or its superproperty, rdfs:label,
instead of rdf:value.  Or might we possibly conclude that
there is more than one way to do it, for different reasons?

At any rate, this group will be invited to voice its views on
this point.

Tom

[1] http://dublincore.org/architecturewiki/DcamInContext
[2] http://www.asis.org/Conferences/DC2010/program.html