RE: is FRBR relevant?

Quoting "Young,Jeff (OR)" <jyoung@oclc.org>:

> You asked "Do you imagine an agent using that subject?" The simple
> answer is yes: I imagine human, machine, and semantic agents "using"
> both the concept of World War II and the LCSH subject heading "World
> War, 1939-1945".

I guess where Jodi and I got lost was in your use of quoted strings in
Google, which, as far as Google is concerned, is a literal. Anyone
could create sets of literals for searching that would increase
precision. (Ask me some day about "dilcue" :-)). In fact, "World War,
1939-1945" retrieves a large number of hits on Google, and I suspect
we'd be hard-pressed to find an instance in which "World War,
1939-1945" was not somehow the subject of the retrieved resource. In
other words, you could possibly add "has as subject" to all of those
pages.

I presume you meant your search to be more than a search of strings. I
agree that the semantic web should provide more precision. I think a
better illustration might be one using something like authorship, or,
even better, the identity of the conductor of a piece of music as part
of a particular event. This is because aboutness is a very broad
concept, which leads me to....

> In FRSAD <http://www.ifla.org/node/1297> , owl:Thing is analogous to
> frsad:Thema and skosxl:Label is analogous to frsad:Nomen.

Is this stated anywhere in the FRSAD documentation? I ask because I
read frsad:Thema as being narrower than owl:Thing. FRSAD defines Thema
as:

    Thema: any entity used as a subject of a work

This is pretty broad, but it only pertains to owl:Thing(s) that are
the subjects of works (with Work being defined in FRBR). In theory,
there will be owl:Thing(s) that are not the subjects of works.

frsad:Nomen still puzzles me a bit. It is defined as:

     Nomen: any sign or sequence of signs (alphanumeric characters,
symbols, sound, etc.) that a thema is known by, referred to, or
addressed as.

And on page 18 it says:

     Nomen is a superclass of the FRAD entities name, identifier, and
controlled access point.

I think this knocks it out of the skosxl:Label category, doesn't it?

I still don't get how skos-xl would "fix" LCSH. To begin with, I'm not
sure that the use of #concept in LCSH in RDF refers to the subject
heading. I suspect that you could argue that the authority entry
represents a concept, and that the "heading" is simply a prefLabel. Do
you see it differently?

kc