Pronunciation lexicons, proposed link@rel extension

From: Daniel Weck <daniel.weck@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 18:15:53 +0100
To: public-xg-htmlspeech@w3.org
Cc: Gylling Markus <markus.gylling@gmail.com>
Hi all,

I recently presented [1] the work we are doing to support speech
synthesis within EPUB publications. As part of this initiative, we
propose a "rel" value ('pronunciation') for the "link" element in
(x)HTML documents. The dedicated WhatWG wiki page [2] is now obsolete,
and the "rel" extensions are now recorded on the Microformats wiki [3].

Our simple proposal [4] enables the inclusion of pronunciation
lexicons (based on formats such as W3C PLS) in web documents, just
like CSS stylesheets. The upcoming EPUB v3.0 standard will demonstrate
a concrete use for the 'pronunciation' link@rel value, so I believe
that the HTML5 working group / implementors will eventually be enticed
to promote and support pronunciation lexicons. :)

Your thoughts are welcome, and please feel free to edit the wiki
directly!
Many thanks, Daniel

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-htmlspeech/2011Apr/0054.html