CSS3 Speech Module

I definitely think that these efforts should be synchronized.

It should also be synchronized with the Audio WG  --- I dont
think speech output stands on its own for building good auditory
interfaces, it needs to be synchronized with non-speech audio.

At the time, original ACSS 1.0 that was the case; later -- circa
early 2002 -- may well be the 2004 update you mention, Dave
Raggett and I did the work to split up Aural CSS into speech and
non-speech properties --- primarily so that we could align CSS
Speech with SSML.

Having seen how all this has played out, I believe that that is
an arbitrary division from the perspective of an application
other --- what web developers need for any of this to be
effective is a set of style attributes that helps control the
style of the auditory presentation --- where that presentation
comprizes of speech and non-speech output.  SSML --- and
languages conformant to its model  can then repreesnt the spoken
aspects of the output --