RE: R18. User perceived latency of synthesis must be minimized

Agreed that the server case is out of scope.  I wonder if there's anything that could be said about the client.  Perhaps it could be rewritten as "user agents should provide/playback rendered TTS audio to the app immediately as it's received from the TTS service".  Hmm... could do with better wording, and may be just stating the obvious.

-----Original Message-----
From: Satish Sampath [mailto:satish@google.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2010 3:08 PM
To: Robert Brown
Cc: Bjorn Bringert; Dan Burnett; public-xg-htmlspeech@w3.org
Subject: Re: R18. User perceived latency of synthesis must be minimized

This seems more of a requirement on the speech service which synthesizes the audio, than the UA, since usually the complexity lies in the synthesizer. I equate this to a requirement like 'web pages must load as fast as possible' which in reality turns into 'web servers should process received requests as fast as they can' and the latter is really up to the implementation based on a lot of factors which are not in the control of the UA.

If we agree that to be the case, I think it is out of scope.

Cheers
Satish