Re: UA <=> SS Protocol

<chair hat="on">

Within our XG, I think it's OK to suggest the existence of a protocol and
possibly even specify requirements for that protocol. But defining/designing
it neither fits into the purview of our charter nor in fact that of the W3C.
Protocols for the Web instead belong in the IETF, and a possible route here
is that one or more interested parties create an individual-contributed
Internet-Draft in that space.

This is a well trodden path. For example, the WebSocket API is being
standardized by the W3C and the WebSocket protocol is being standardized by
the IETF. Similarly, for VoiceXML, a couple of like-minded W3C folks got
together and wrote RFC 5552 to define the SIP protocol/interface to VoiceXML
servers.

</chair>