Re: FOAF, geonames, and more

From: Alexandre Passant <alex@passant.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 17:52:26 +0100
To: "Bernard Vatant" <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>
Cc: public-xg-geo@w3.org, foaf-dev@lists.foaf-project.org, Marc <marc@geonames.org>

Hi,

On 1/26/07, Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com> wrote:

> Hi Alexandre
>
> > The other idea would be to create a new property as locatedIn (in
> > geonames or in geo84 ontology, or even new namespace) that will link
> > any owl:Thing / rdf:Resource (and not only subclasses of SpatialThing)
> > to a geo84:SpatialThing, and that then can be subclassed:
> As the editor of geonames ontology, I am quite in favor of adding a
> generic "geonames:locatedIn" property with an open domain, and range
> "geonames:Feature".
I'd be happy to get something like this, it would help to get more RDF
data linked to geoname Features

> Marc, any opposition?
> > bornIn
> > worksIn
> > establishedIn
> Yes, let more specific ontologies define those as subproperties of the
> generic "geonames:locatedIn"
Thus indeed, a lightweight "location" ontology could be defined - if
it's not already in the objectives of the geo group, I don't want to
conflict - , and other ontology maintainers can define other
suproperties.

> > I'll be happy to get feedback about these ideas.
> You've got at least one :))
Indeed, merci :)

Best,

Alex.