Re: [EMOXG] Deliverable report published as first draft: Emotion Markup Language: Requirements with Priorities

From: Ian Wilson <ian@emotionai.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 23:47:57 +0300
To: public-xg-emotion@w3.org

All,

With regards to standards and scales I think defining our scales as a
normal range should be part of the standards process itself. With undefined
or ambiguous scales our standard could loose its iteroperability.

The MPEG4 animation "standard" reminds me of this as I have interfaced my
own system with two other systems that were based on MPEG4 animation and
should have therefore been identical but actually had different
"interpretations" of the scales required. This is not a good thing for a
standard.

Also, having our scales defined internally does not exclude other systems
using our standard from mapping that scale value (0 to 1 or -1 to +1) to
whatever system they choose to use.

I can understand the idea of having the flexibility of user defined scales
but I think this may be detrimental to our aims and would guarantee that
using data from another publisher of XML would require you to first map
their scale to yours. Speaking from experience this is painfull.

Ian

--
Ian Wilson
CEO