Re: [EMOXG] Deliverable report published as first draft: Emotion Markup Language: Requirements with Priorities

Catherine Pelachaud wrote:

> My 2 cents on the definition of min, max.
> In MPEG-4 facial Animation Parameters have no min-max. Any values are
> allowed. The difficulty is to make sure that all MPEG-4 player
> interprets the values in a similar manner. To ensure this, detailled
> examples are provided as well as animation files that served as test bed.
> I also like the idea of not having min-max specified. It allows for much
> more flexibility and also not to have to define what it is absolute max
Plus, some applications may _want_ to use excessive values (e.g. for
eye-popping, cartoon-like animation) In addition to this, in MPEG-4
units are inherent in the measurement, since values normalized wrt
constant distances; e.g. FAPs related to the eyebrows are normalized
using the distance between the eyes and the nose, which (normally) is a
constant.

Regarding fuzziness and labels, I would think that it's best to leave it
up to applications reading and using EMOXG to define them or, in any
case, a higher-level structure which again would be app-dependent (an
ontology relating feature points to FAPs to expressivity maybe?) In some
cases, or for certain users, a specific measurement of eyebrow movement,
for instance, may correspond to 'high' activation, while in other cases
or contexts, the same measurement may be labeled 'medium'