Re: EIIF draft needs unified person, rigorous when/where, criteria towards common ontology, use of phases

On 2008-11-26, at 1318, C H wrote:

> "Some local" is nowhere near acceptable for the purposes we are
> talking about.  Especially not as relief efforts begin to span
> global communications networks.   With the "Z" suffix that specifies
> that the time is in UTC it's fine for points in time - only.  But
> ISO 8601  has nothing to say about how to specify spans of time /
> intervals, floating durations, etc.

ISO8601 is perfectly capable of reflecting time zones by using +1300
to represent NZDT for example.

I think it is important to recognise that ISO8601 is primarily an
atomic standard, in that it generally defines an atomic datetime unit
(as you rightly point out). It is then up to standards that build upon
ISO8601 to implement more complex functionality such as you suggest
e.g. ranges, intervals etc.

> ISO 8601 apparently allows one to express the non-existent concept
> of a date/time without being fixed in any one time zone.  This is a
> plain semantic error, to allow the expression of something that
> seems to exist but in fact is ambiguous.

I would suggest this is a programmers error - in that users don't
generally enter datetimes in ISO8601 format, rather the programme
saves it as such. Therefore, it is a design error on behalf of the
programmer that they store it as local time rather than fully
specifying the UTC offset. Plain lazy development. Of course, closing
that loophole in the standard may improve lazy development practices ;)

Cheers Gav