Re: eiif and ontology proper

Ciao Paola,
my  favourite way of developing ontologies is that of arranging 'naive'
concepts gathered from users (e.g. interviews) under categories coming
from foundational ontology (e.g. continuant, occurrent, quality, region
etc) like those you can find in DOLCE. Also, there is a methodology called
OntoClean developed by Guarino (CNR, Italy) and Chris Welty (IBM, US) that
can help a lot.

By the way, I'm trying to aling the current eiif uml model with DOLCE's
categories and see what happens. For thechnical reasons (i.e. xmi) it's a
little bit harder than I thought, but stay tuned ...

Cordiali Saluti, Best Regards,

Guido Vetere
Manager & Research Coordinator, IBM Center for Advanced Studies Rome
-----------------------
IBM Italia S.p.A.
via Sciangai 53, 00144 Rome,
Italy
-----------------------
mail:     gvetere@it.ibm.com
phone: +39 06 59662137
mobile: +39 335 7454658

paola.dimaio@gmail.com
Sent by: public-xg-eiif-request@w3.org
02/12/2008 11.42

"Renato Iannella" <renato@nicta.com.au>
cc
public-xg-eiif <public-xg-eiif@w3.org>
Subject
Re: eiif and ontology proper

Guido

I have set aside some time to work on this (mainly learning the tools) for
the next week or so. I ll appreciate any assistance.

One thing I am still not sure, if there is a clear (formal) distinction
between

a) the top down approach - say, start modelling using DOLCE primitives
from the start -

and/or

b) the bottom up approach which i think is what we are using here so far,
that is, come up with a representative list of classes/entities, and then
see how they fit or how they can be remodelled to fit the top level
categories

I am sure there is plenty of literature, and as far as understand the
classical ontology development approach is top down.

does anyone have pointers to

1. assume we want to model our ontology using DOLCE from the start, is
there a methodology that we can follow? is this methodology DOLCE
specific, or would suit any upper level ontology?

2. would it be a good idea to try out both approaches, and compare the
results?

Thanks in advance

PDM

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 7:01 AM, Renato Iannella <renato@nicta.com.au>
wrote:

> On 22 Nov 2008, at 00:19, Guido Vetere wrote:
>
> And yes, I've some (limited) time to dedicate to this activity on
WORKPAD

http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/eiif/wiki/images/7/77/XGR-framework-20081106.pdf

--
Paola Di Maio
School of IT

IBM Italia S.p.A.
Sede Legale: Circonvallazione Idroscalo - 20090 Segrate (MI)
Cap. Soc. euro 361.550.000
C. F. e Reg. Imprese MI 01442240030 - Partita IVA 10914660153
Societą con Azionista Unico
Societą soggetta all?attivitą di direzione e coordinamento di
International Business Machines Corporation

(Salvo che sia diversamente indicato sopra / Unless stated otherwise
above)