Re: eiif and ontology proper

Guido

I have set aside some time to work on this (mainly learning the tools) for
the next week or so. I ll appreciate any assistance.

One thing I am still not sure, if there is a clear (formal) distinction
between

a) the top down approach - say, start modelling using DOLCE primitives from
the start -

and/or

b) the bottom up approach which i think is what we are using here so far,
that is, come up with a representative list of classes/entities, and then
see how they fit or how they can be remodelled to fit the top level
categories

I am sure there is plenty of literature, and as far as understand the
classical ontology development approach is top down.

does anyone have pointers to

1. assume we want to model our ontology using DOLCE from the start, is there
a methodology that we can follow? is this methodology DOLCE specific, or
would suit any upper level ontology?

2. would it be a good idea to try out both approaches, and compare the
results?

Thanks in advance

PDM

http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/eiif/wiki/images/7/77/XGR-framework-20081106.pdf