Re: collaborative ontology

Hi Ryan

What we are doing here is cutting edge too... if we dont trivialize it

What you say is true, however I dont think this group has a hierarchy,
we are all members. Or you are referring to to the hierachies in the
sector?

Collaborative Ontology methodologies are the latest stuff in this
field, albeit still some experimental, like us - a pefect match, and
the way forward for a group like ours who is struggling to come to
terms with different views of the world we are all looking at.

Using the right tools is essential to any trade. I dont expect
everyone in this group has researched and applied ontology
methodologies (I have done a bit), so let me say in a nutshell what
needs to be done

Different stakeholders are likely to have different perspective/views of:
what is being represented (I am thinking of the EM process, gavin is
sthinking of EM static directory)
how it is being represented
(say, organisational view vs other)
This will result in a different picture being painted by each stakeholder
The aggregation of such views is likely to be closer to reality than
any single view

So, a metamodel (the highest possible abstraction of a model, max
generalization) is used as pivotal framework of reference
Each view is mapped against the metamodel

Conflicts are resoved by increasing abstraction (examples later)
The resulting picture is likely to be a polymorphic, flexible set of
view that canbe combined to suit different sets of stakeholders
requirements, and can be expanded and refined with time

In practical terms, we each depict our model of the EM process, then
develop the aspect of it that is closer to us, then we find a way of
matching them all

something like that

--
Paola Di Maio