Re: Web Audio API is now available in Chrome

Hi Tom,

They are different API proposals.  The "Web Audio API" which I just wrote
about is described here:
http://chromium.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/samples/audio/specification/specification.html

Mozilla's proposal is called the "Audio Data API":
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Audio_Data_API

There has been a fair amount of discussion about the two approaches on this
list.  Here is my comparison:

Web Audio API
* implementations in WebKit - Google Chrome (Mac OS X only, but Windows and
Linux soon), Apple Safari
* high-level API - easy to do simple things like play sound now
* API is modular and scalable
* allows for the lowest possible latency - time between, for example, key
and mouse events and a sound being heard
* most of the implementation is in optimized assembly / C / C++ for
efficiency, so more can be done without bogging down the system
* more resistant to audio glitches / dropouts
* superset of Audio Data API functionality
* more advanced audio capabilities

Audio Data API
* implementation in Mozilla Firefox (Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux)
* low-level API - requires writing JavaScript code to render audio one
sample at a time - requires low-level knowledge of audio to use
* API is monolithic and "ad hoc"
* all audio processing is done in JavaScript which although fast enough for
some applications is too slow for others
* has difficultly reliably achieving low-latency, thus there's a delay heard
between mouse / key events and sounds being heard
* more prone to audio glitches / dropouts
* more limited audio capabilities

Chris