Re: Making Web Audio APIs More Competitive with native

Hi all,

After quickly looking over the OpenSL ES spec (http://www.khronos.org/registry/sles/specs/OpenSL_ES_Specification_1.0.1.pdf
), I had a couple of thoughts to share.

One is that OpenSL ES has a set of clearly defined use cases
("profiles"). It may be premature to think about tracking OpenSL
functionality until this group can settle on a clear set of target use
cases; at that point we can evaluate how close these are to OpenSL
ES.  In OpenSL ES the cases are coupled to the mobile device arena,
but that doesn't make them invalid for the Audio XG/WG.  I found it
interesting to look at the profile/feature table in the spec (see p.
10) and compare with Chris's proposal.

Another observation is that while OpenSL ES is a rather low-level API
focusing on mobile implementers working in C, it can provide a
valuable feature checklist for this group. Even if we do not track
their spec closely (and I suspect that this is not very doable because
of how low-level it is) we can look at how they have tackled parallel
issues and examine features to see if they're worth including on their
own merit. For example, the resource-priority mechanism in OpenSL ES
might be worth introducing at some point for browsers working in a
setting with highly constrained resources.

Best,

..Joe

Joe Berkovitz
President