Welcome to the XDMDL Group

Thanks Frank, thanks Pierre, and thank you to all who have signed up to this new XDMDL group.

"Founder and Chairman" certainly sounds like the Colonels have just occupied the palace! I had an offline chat with Andrew Downes who recommended that, following a Wikipedia "be bold" strategy, it made sense, given that I had the substantive proposal to make, for me to get things moving. So I have taken the liberty of appointing myself Chair, which the W3C infrastructure appears to allow. However, if the group thinks it would be better to have a separate Chair, then I will be very happy to step aside.

I propose that we have an inaugural call for this group at the same time that we were having W3C Education Prioriy Group calls, on Fridays at 1000 EST, 1500 GMT, 1600 CET. I suggest that we should move to weekly calls, with our first, inaugural call on Friday week - 20th March.

I suggest that for the first 2 or 3 calls, I should step through the work that I have already done on an XDMDL proposal - discussing questions and challenges as we go along, and then open the floor for counter-proposals from anyone who would like to take a call or a half-call to do that. We can then (perhaps early May) decide whether we have the basis on which to produce a useful output, on the basis of my work or other people's. That would be the point to take a go-no-go decision, and if we decide to go, then get down to detailed drafting work.

I would hope that we could produce a specification / report before the summer break, at which point this group can dissolve. We can then start afresh in September, with a new group with a wider scope, targeted more at implementers, who we could ask to work up use-cases addressing educational requirements.

I will spend some time over the weekend looking at infrastructure - wikis, conferencing software etc. I suspect there might be better options in some cases than the W3C defaults. We can then get a wiki set up next week.

I am looking forward very much to our discussions.

Crispin.