Re: Pull the plug on logotypes?

Microsoft are members of the CABForum and are actively discussing the
question of including logotypes in the EV guidelines, based on a
proposal from Phil.  It's certainly true that the verification
implications are steep, but then again there is no global,
authoritative register of organization names, either.  The degree to
which implementors are comfortable with this, or any other piece of
information, will mostly come down to, as you suggest: the confidence
one has in the quality of the verification (be it Madrid protocol or
other), and the degree to which the attesting CA is willing to assume
liability for verification failures.

Nevertheless, to answer Mez's question - Firefox doesn't implement
this presently, and won't do so without a standard of identification
that we support.  While those discussions are happening, that puts it
well out on our roadmap as well.

Cheers,

Johnathan

---