Re: Some studies on the visibility of EV sites.

On 5-Mar-08, at 10:08 AM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

> http://www.verisign.com/static/040655.pdf

This needs a username and password to see. :(

> January 2007, Tec-Ed researched usage and attitudes of 384 online
> shoppers
> Measured their responses to Web sites with and without green bars
> 100% of participants notice whether a site shows the green EV bar
> 93% of participants prefer to shop on sites that show the green bar
> 97% are likely to share their credit card information on sites with
> the green EV bar, as opposed to only 63% with non-EV sites
> 77% of participants report that they would hesitate to shop at a
> site that previously showed the green EV bar and no longer does so
Was this before or after being educated as to the meaning of the green
bar? Did they learn what it mean by clicking on it?

> DebtHelp: 11% increase in transactions
> http://www.verisign.com/Resources/success-stories/SSL_and_VeriSign_Secured_Seal/debthelp.html
>
> Overstock: 8.6% decrease in abandoned shopping cart rate
> http://www.verisign.com/Resources/success-stories/SSL_and_VeriSign_Secured_Seal/overstock.html
>
> Scribendi: 27% increase in transactions
> http://www.verisign.com/Resources/success-stories/SSL_and_VeriSign_Secured_Seal/scribendi.html

The change in cart abandonment is really interesting to me. Is that
abandonment on the checkout page, where EV would make a difference?
Presumably if before that point, the user had already decided to trust
the place enough to start putting items in the cart, so the only time
when EV would matter would be when they're asked to bring out their
credit card ...

cheers,
mike