Re: Is the padlock a page security score?

Anil Saldhana wrote:

> To reiterate what Ian said yesterday, usability studies are necessary
> but not sufficient.

Exactly, which means that usability studies should be done as the
absolute minimum.

>Just because 25% do not see the indicators does not
> mean, we should not work towards them. :)

Of course not, I'm not sure if anyone is advocating that.  My point was
that we should not emulate the current indicators which we already know
have failed.  We should use that knowledge to make something better.
More simply: if we do it this way, we know that in the absolute best
case, 25% of the users will not notice them.  Thus, we should find a
better way.

> Personally, when I face PII situation on the web, I look for two things
> (https and the padlock). Again going by what Ian said yesterday, there
> is little chance that my information will be compromised during transit
> at that particular time. So these two indicators (even though padlock is
> a side-effect of the other), are sufficient for me in addition to the
> credibility of the website that I am entering the information into.

Yes, and you're not the user we should be focusing on.  You're an
engineer at a software company.  You represent a very small fraction of
a very small fraction of the users out there.  What comes out of this
working group could probably completely ignore you, since you're
probably doing everything properly as it is.

--
/*
PhD Candidate

"Whoever said there's no such thing as a free lunch was never a grad
student."

All views contained in this message, either expressed or implied, are
the views of my employer, and not my own.
*/