Re: use case: TLS Man in the Middle (ACTION-73)

George,

I agree with your sentiment, and that "this is not hard stuff." Perhaps
what is needed is far less tolerance for sloppiness and the easy way out.

On the other hand, I think we are dealing with two distinct issues that
do need to be addressed, and that are partially within this group's
scope of work:

 (1) Lots of people responsible for managing online services, or
providing technical support for online services (e.g., sysadmins), do
believe that this security stuff is too hard to bother with. I know I've
encountered this sentiment over and over again, even when people are
presented with compelling demonstrations that off-the-shelf security
measures are not overly hard to implement, nor a detriment to system
performance.

 (2) In some respects, the off-the-shelf security solutions available
today are unnecessarily hard to work with, or they are incompatible with
business objectives of service providers or their partners/customers. If
nothing else, security solutions of the type we're dealing with here
introduce new operational burdens that are often not well understood, or
adequately addressed by current offerings.

To make things better, we collectively need to address both sides of
this coin: the perception that it's too hard, and the reality that it's
harder than it needs to be. Education of the providers of online
services and the vendors that supply technology to them is one way to
resolve this dichotomy.

...Chuck
   Chuck Wade, Principal
   Interisle Consulting Group