Re: ISSUE-97: Should logotypes be tied to EV certificates?[Techniques]

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Roessler wrote:
> There needs to be some definition of what "the kind of certificate
> that triggers EV-like behavior" actually is, and that's what I think
> is in scope.  Preferably, that definition isn't more than two or
> three sentences, with a reference or two.
>
> I don't really care what label we stick to these things, and I was
> not suggesting that we start writing up certification practices.

I'm a bit confused here. Isn't it a requirement for EV-like
behaviour that the root-cert/trust-anchor is the thing that
is marked? Otherwise, any old CA could insert the OID without
having signed up to anything.

Or, is there a presumption that there'll be a root-police
that'd catch and react to such (probably bogus) assertions?

If I'm right, that means that essentially the EV-like flag
is set when the TA is installed (which may be via some putative
TA protocol, or more likely for now, via browser s/w update).
In that case, there's no need for an X.509 OID.

If I'm wrong (always likely:-), then maybe someone could
explain how EV-certs differ from the old server-gated
crypto tricks browsers used do. Without having delved into
CAB forum docs. they seem more or less the same to me from
this perspective.

S.