Re: FW: .safe TLD idea from ICANN

From: Mary Ellen Zurko <Mary_Ellen_Zurko@notesdev.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 08:27:36 -0400
Cc: public-wsc-wg@w3.org
To: "<michael.mccormick" <michael.mccormick@wellsfargo.com>
I can't quite tell what it is that will make sites with .safe safe for e
banking. I assume some sort of policy, much like EV promises something?

Which reminds me of an error I was a bit suprised at (though not on
reflection). I typed in my bank's home page with https, but with .com
(it's really a .org). So I got an SSL error telling me "the name on the
security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site".
Neither of which is quite accurate. The cert matches the site that is
being brought up; I'm just being redirected because I made a common
mistake. So, oddly, won't all those users used to typing .com get SSL
errors when redirected to .safe (if https is specified)?

Perhaps we need another sentence on ErrorHandling about the error matching
the user's model or view of the task.

Mary Ellen Zurko, STSM, IBM Lotus CTO Office       (t/l 333-6389)
Lotus/WPLC Security Strategy and Patent Innovation Architect

Sent by: public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org
04/12/2007 06:23 PM

FW: .safe TLD idea from ICANN