Re: Browser security warning

Stephen Farrell wrote:

> The main point is that naively differentiating between a "secure"
> state (padlock) and an insecure one (no padlock) isn't very effective.
> I don't believe that changing from that binary approach to an N-ary
> one, where the N options map to TLS state-machine states will be any
> more effective. We need a subtler mix...

   I agree that the padlock isn't effective.  I'm also against an N-ary
approach.  Having sites with self-signed certs appear with an HTTPS in the
address bar adds a new category users have to understand.

   I'm for having only one level of security (not the current two
states)---you either reach the site in the address bar at the security level
the site has deemed appropriate, or you don't reach it at all.